Small black tentacles coming from rock/frag

adamsjus002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reef friends,

A couple days ago I noticed some tentacles 2 of them to be specific coming out from a rock I just recently put a GSP frag on. They appeared to be black in color and very small. no longer than an inch from inside the rock. I will try to get pictures next time I see it. But does anyone have any ideas what it could be?

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aptasia will grow and usually be out unless disturbed. If you’re lucky they’re little brittle stars that will reproduce.

Turn off your flow for 10 minutes and use a syringe to squirt kalkwasser paste on the aptasia. I’ve also had good luck with peppermint shrimp eating them.

OP
OP
A

adamsjus002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn’t able to get a picture because it retracted as soon as I grabbed my phone. But I noticed little spiky looking tentacles with the striped pattern sticking out of the rock. I quite confident it’s a micro brittle star!

chitmonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to confirm - Have a quick google search for digitate hydroids

Sometimes they look a lot like what you are describing.

NjMikeD83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% a brittle star. They are good guys, basically free CUC. You will mostly see this happen during feeding time, they are hoping to get a bit of the food floating around.

ナイトコア猫

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% a brittle star. They are good guys, basically free CUC. You will mostly see this happen during feeding time, they are hoping to get a bit of the food floating around.

For the big ones that one buys as pets, I target feed them when I feed corals—LPS (mysids) and SPS (BRS Reef Chili), in feed mode with pumps (including powerheads) after dark, when you see them with arms poking out from rocks. The tiny ones may not eat something as big as mysids, but Reef Chili might work; if you like, perhaps you may wish to experiment with food sizes.

If you target feed them, you may get more of them. If you have great eyesight and look very carefully, you can see them take pieces of food towards its centre. Obviously, feeding too much obviates their contributions, but once every one or two weeks isn't so bad I think. As @NjMikeD83 says, they're great for your tank and I would add that they look super cute as well.

Sometimes I find them when I dip corals, and then I use a white plastic spoon to scoop them out to safety

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 153 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 125 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 53 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back