Snail Eggs?

rob taft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am overrun with these things in my 25 gallon holding tank. I believe they are stomatella snail egg cases but I'm not certain. I have a few stomatella snails as well as a few Trocus snails. The amount of these eggs and the spread of these egg cases has become a problem for this tank. They literally attach themselves to every hard object or rock in the tank. The picture below is what is attached to a single frag plug. Identification would be helpful.

critter id.jpg

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you see the snails laying these eggs? I don’t think that’s how stomatella lay eggs. I believe they release them into the water column and are then fertilized by a male. Much smaller as well. That looks to me like a form of bubble algae.

demonclownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stomatella stretch out into the water with just a small portion remaining on the rock and release free eggs into the water column(have watched this happen many many times). This is a species of bubble algae(which is why you are being overrun with it).

Remove and boil the rock or get an army of Mithrax crabs.

OP
OP
R

rob taft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JGT and Demon, I believe you are correct. Well I'll start with manual removal. What puzzles me is this tank has and continues to have nearly zero phosphate and nitrate levels. Even before the bubble alage. Thanks.

demonclownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JGT and Demon, I believe you are correct. Well I'll start with manual removal. What puzzles me is this tank has and continues to have nearly zero phosphate and nitrate levels. Even before the bubble alage. Thanks.
Bubble algae's are weird in that they don't seem to care if your water is "dirty" or not. Once they take hold they proliferate.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stomatella stretch out into the water with just a small portion remaining on the rock and release free eggs into the water column(have watched this happen many many times). This is a species of bubble algae(which is why you are being overrun with it).

Remove and boil the rock or get an army of Mithrax crabs.
Jeez! Don't boil the rock!!

demonclownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But why??? If bubble algae causes that much anxiety for you, this may be the wrong hobby... js
Did I say it does? I believe I offered a solution to rid the rock of bubble algae... js.

In other news - it also works well for any common pest algae. Bryopsis, caulerpa, bubble, turf or to just have fresh new rock if you want to go for a sterile build... js.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back