Snail I.D

Boj4k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another snail found in our coral system, first one I found I am fairly certain to have identified it as a conus regius can't figure out what this little guy is, could be from anywhere in the world as we ship corals from everywhere that we can

20240320_232045.jpg 20240320_232021.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Another snail found in our coral system, first one I found I am fairly certain to have identified it as a conus regius can't figure out what this little guy is, could be from anywhere in the world as we ship corals from everywhere that we can

20240320_232045.jpg 20240320_232021.jpg
Looks like a columbellid snail

OP
OP
B

Boj4k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a columbellid snail
Can't really find any of that species that truly look like this one, but it does fit the description at the moment, under 1/2 inch and seems to algae graze
Are you familiar with that snail? Or how did you I.D it?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Can't really find any of that species that truly look like this one, but it does fit the description at the moment, under 1/2 inch and seems to algae graze
Are you familiar with that snail? Or how did you I.D it?
I got a couple of strays at my pet store in the past and part of the Strombus family. I believe they are fast multipliers and reef safe

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a Columbellid/Dove Snail (Dove Snail being the common name for snails from the taxonomic family Columbellidae) - in this case, it's the Dotted/Lettered Dove Snail, Euplica scripta.

The shell pattern and color for these are highly variable, so I'd suggest looking over quite a few specimens before deciding if you think it's a match or not.

Also, just to clarify, these are not closely related to Strombus species (Conchs) of the taxonomic family Strombidae - in fact, they're actually from different taxonomic orders (Dove snails being from Neogastropoda and Conchs from Littorinimorpha), and they are more closely related to true whelks and Nassarius snails (these are all from the same taxonomic superfamily, Buccinoidea).

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Boj4k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a Columbellid/Dove Snail (Dove Snail being the common name for snails from the taxonomic family Columbellidae) - in this case, it's the Dotted/Lettered Dove Snail, Euplica scripta.

The shell pattern and color for these are highly variable, so I'd suggest looking over quite a few specimens before deciding if you think it's a match or not.

Also, just to clarify, these are not closely related to Strombus species (Conchs) of the taxonomic family Strombidae - in fact, they're actually from different taxonomic orders (Dove snails being from Neogastropoda and Conchs from Littorinimorpha), and they are more closely related to true whelks and Nassarius snails (these are all from the same taxonomic superfamily, Buccinoidea).
Thank you for the I.D definitely accurate maybe you can help id the other thing I posted, the giant hydroid looking guy

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back