Snail ID please?

Moonraider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
55g SW. Been up 8+ months now. Understocked w/3 fish. Lots of macro and coralline algae. Used live rock that I soaked/sundried for days (I did this months ago). I bought 2 nassarius, 1 astrea, 3 bumblebees and 2 ceriths. Not these. What on earth are these 2 snails? I started seeing them 2 weeks ago. They have feelers that curl in and out and they are roughly the color of coca cola (brown w/white splotches).

20220708_173104.jpg
20220708_181025.jpg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
stomatella snail! good CUC
55g SW. Been up 8+ months now. Understocked w/3 fish. Lots of macro and coralline algae. Used live rock that I soaked/sundried for days (I did this months ago). I bought 2 nassarius, 1 astrea, 3 bumblebees and 2 ceriths. Not these. What on earth are these 2 snails? I started seeing them 2 weeks ago. They have feelers that curl in and out and they are roughly the color of coca cola (brown w/white splotches).

20220708_173104.jpg
20220708_181025.jpg

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stomatella snail! good CUC
You beat it to me!
Stomatella snails are great algae-grazers and will breed in captivity. Watch out when handling them, since they will tear off the back of their foot as a defensive measure, like a lizard.
Oh, and is that a shark egg I see in the third picture?

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thanks guys! Stingray case I think, I take all my favorite shells, sharks teeth and sea stuff and decorate the tank with it!
No problem!
I would be cautious with adding objects like elasmobranch egg cases as they might break down over time (though I have seen public aquariums display empty cases underwater, so who knows). If the egg case does belong to a ray, then it is probably a skate egg as stingrays give birth to live young. What else are you using for decoration?

OP
OP
M

Moonraider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem!
I would be cautious with adding objects like elasmobranch egg cases as they might break down over time (though I have seen public aquariums display empty cases underwater, so who knows). If the egg case does belong to a ray, then it is probably a skate egg as stingrays give birth to live young. What else are you using for decoration?
It's definitely breaking down which I don't mind b/c it's not like I'd use it otherwise. Is that bad for h20 quality? There's a sand dollar, some sand tiger shark teeth and some shells. Mostly from FL.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely breaking down which I don't mind b/c it's not like I'd use it otherwise. Is that bad for h20 quality? There's a sand dollar, some sand tiger shark teeth and some shells. Mostly from FL.
Any organic matter that breaks down releases ammonia. I would personally remove the egg case. The shells and teeth are fine, assuming you are collecting from a clean source. A living sand dollar would starve in most tanks, but a sand dollar shell is fine. Also, if you ever find any, driftwood is undesirable since it will leech tannins that will lower pH (though you could try to seal the wood in aquarium epoxy/resin).

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back