OP
OP
Karmann

Karmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, netting out these guys are a lot easier said than done, I had to use tongues to pick as much as I can get to without moving my corals around. Also it looks like there is a boat load of them behind my rock work that I can't get to but they are way more than 50 as I thought.

20161107_114433.jpg
20161107_114439.jpg

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. They were also bigger than these guys. How long does it take for them to get to this size?

They don't breed in people's tanks, so I have no idea. Do you have a picture of one of the larger ones?

OP
OP
Karmann

Karmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you are the authority on this but any chance they are not really Nassarius? Maybe I was sold something else that does breed in captivity.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you are the authority on this but any chance they are not really Nassarius? Maybe I was sold something else that does breed in captivity.

Oh I'm not the authority, I've just been hanging around hitchhiker stuff for a long time.

My brain is telling me logically that it's not a nass, because I would have run into more instances of them propagating in tanks. Those pictures though, totally look like a nass. I was looking for a picture of one of the larger original 5 to see if is indeed the same snail.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going through my catalogs, to see what else I can come up with. I know I'm asking for a lot of pictures, but could you get one with the "hole side" up and make the snail go in?

OP
OP
Karmann

Karmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going through my catalogs, to see what else I can come up with. I know I'm asking for a lot of pictures, but could you get one with the "hole side" up and make the snail go in?
I appreciate your help, I will take the pictures and post them. It will be in an hour or so I had to run out for something.

OP
OP
Karmann

Karmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go, I hope these work, disregard the orangutan fingers! but I can't really tell which are the originals I am not finding them, I will look again on the next feed but I recall these were a lot darker as well so maybe the dark one was one of them I have no idea right now. I am trying to dig out old pictures.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That totally looks like a nassararius. It may not be the genus, but the family has got to be Nassariidae.

OP
OP
Karmann

Karmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That totally looks like a nassararius. It may not be the genus, but the family has got to be Nassariidae.

Thanks a lot, I will keep an eye to find the originals but I am not too concerned as long as they are nassararius I was mainly curious since there were a lot of them. what about the trochus these don't commonly breed as well? because I have dozens now as small as a grain of sand to as big as a kalamata olive and I also only added 5?

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Banded trochus do reproduce in tanks. It's not super common, but I've read about them several times and have seen the pictures.

OP
OP
Karmann

Karmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lionfish Lair , I was finally able to catch the very small ones, attached pictures for comparison with the other size and the ruler is in metric / millimeter. I have them captive in a plastic container for now if you want more pictures.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mind if I bring those pictures somewhere else?

On the Banded trochus babies up there... those are actually collonistas.

OP
OP
Karmann

Karmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sure and thanks for the ID. If need other pictures let me know. I used macro lens but I probably should have used spot light. I may take more pictures later tonight.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 90 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 71 34.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 32 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back