Snails, algae and egg crate

Southpawblues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what types of snails are being used in your frag tanks for algae management. I'm concerned about snails getting stuck in the egg crate, etc. I know trochus snails can right themselves but can they do it on egg crate. I have a small bit of hair algae starting (resolved the origin I think!) but not sure Trochus snails are the best hair algae eaters. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and experience. I also have a sand bottom and plan to get some sand sifters as well.

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an emerald crab in mine and I see him grazing all the time. I have all different kinds in my tank and replenish more than I do in my display tank. I have margarita and turbos as well that seem to be doing a good job in there as well. I would try to find the balance of how many you have and what works so minimal algae happens. I also have a tomini, mimic, and a yellow tang in the tank that all eat algae. I’ll be addding a Foxface to the tank very soon

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My copperband has taken a liking to it. I know it’s odd but whenever there is a Sheet of nori he nips at it.
fascinating but not surprising, by keeping fish in captivity I'm sure we've altered their food pallet somewhat. I recall having a lemon peel angel acting like my copper band's minion and will devour aptasia alongside the copperband. I don't know if that's the expected natural behavior but was always amazed to see some a-typical behaviors.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 82 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back