OP
SneakyTortuga

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much to do and so little time! @Wrangy got me motivated to work on the canopy till 1am last night. I still need to center the radions better but more or less this will be the layout. 4 radions down the center with front to back orientation and 4 t5s to cover shaded spots
6AA8CA86-250F-49FE-BB6C-A7CF24655601.jpeg

94B7D946-54CD-4B7C-AAD8-A5BB9132C244.jpeg

OP
OP
SneakyTortuga

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Done but you're not allowed to read my thread till then as I totally haven't put fish in yet ;Hilarious
I feel betrayed!!! now I’m going to have to hit the wholesaler and start QTing some fish

I just came home from a weekend away and found 1/3 of my acros stning from the the tips! I think it’s combination of ALK fluctuations due to the .25 gallons of acro power that got accidentally dosed last week. Found out my skimmer hasn’t been skimming as it should due to it being too dirty. Just a combination of things. Now an EMERGENCY water change. This may push the tank transfer back. I’m not gonna be transferring stressed or stning acros.

I feel sick to my stomach.

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes, best laid plans of mice and men. Don’t stress or over react, correct course, and let your tank catch up. Remember, nothing good happens fast! That being said, I think it’s ok if you pump the brakes on the new build, unless there’s a reason you have to get it done yesterday!

OP
OP
SneakyTortuga

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been avoiding Instagram, REEF2REEF, and doing my best to avoid the 2 GIANT reef tanks in my living room. It’s so mind numbing how in 1 day a tank that you’ve watching progress over the course of a year can fall apart. What I think the contributing factors are to the decline of 1/3 of my corals are the following:

1. What I think contributed the most is a over dose of acro power. My doser dumped almost a 1/3rd of a gallon into my tank 1 week prior to the stn event. the corals looked fine so I didn’t stress it too much at the moment.

2. I got lazy! It happens to the best of us. I only did 20% water change after the acro power dumped. I should have changed 50%+.

3. Alkalinity instability due to the excessive acro power. My alkalinity spiked to its normal 7.6-8 to around 9.5. Alkalinity consumption almost came to a complete stop.

4. Nutrient control wasn’t running optimally.My skimmer wasnt cleaned so it just wasn’t skimming the same amount. I hadn’t cleaned my cheato out in if I had to guess over a month or 2. Ive been out of town every week so I haven’t been feeding the tank like I normally would.

So those are what I think are the main contributing factors. I did 3 water changes in the Past week. Changing about 30% at a time. I cleaned out my skimmer, cleaned out my cheato, and added acropower back to the tank. today my tank is back to normal alkalinity consumption. Only negative is I will be out of town for 12 days on a hunting trip so who knows what the tank will look like when I get back.

heres a bad cell phone picture of the homewrecker the day I left. To the left of the hw is my pink panther with the base stned
10A08013-6B40-4776-90F0-18DA9FCA9BE1.jpeg

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand your frustration anyone who has done this hobby for long enough knows the felling you have right now.
But you have the ability to set up that new tank right now and make it better then any tank you have ever had . Only putting the best corals (corals I’m sure some of us hobbyist can help you get back if need be) and as long as we all learn from our past mistakes so they don’t happen to us again is Why I call a success.

Take that frustration and bad energy out on your new build to make it great

OP
OP
SneakyTortuga

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand your frustration anyone who has done this hobby for long enough knows the felling you have right now.
But you have the ability to set up that new tank right now and make it better then any tank you have ever had . Only putting the best corals (corals I’m sure some of us hobbyist can help you get back if need be) and as long as we all learn from our past mistakes so they don’t happen to us again is Why I call a success.

Take that frustration and bad energy out on your new build to make it great
I guess you can say this all part of the hobby ! I have an idea of what I need to do on the new tank. I’ll be starting the new tank in January. I’m going to try and let these corals Heal for a few months before the transfer.

i appreciate the advice!

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my finger, toes, legs, arms, you know what and eyes crossed for you when you come back from the hunting trip mate. It's been really hard to read these updates and I hope you come back to something better and more healthy!!

Where and what are you hunting though?? :)

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like things might have a pretty good chance of bouncing back, based on the photos shared. I lost my HW to a super fast encrusting PC Rainbow. I couldn't believe it, the thing encroached up onto the base of the plug in like.... 8 days while I was traveling. Stung the whole Home Wrecker to death.

Meanwhile the Cherry Bomb I got from you is having my WD growing up into it, and they are getting along just fine.

Anyways, keep your head up, I think the hunting trip will be the refreshing break you need, I still need to transfer my tank over to my new place, and it always looks better when I go back to feed, less of me involved I guess!

OP
OP
SneakyTortuga

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my finger, toes, legs, arms, you know what and eyes crossed for you when you come back from the hunting trip mate. It's been really hard to read these updates and I hope you come back to something better and more healthy!!

Where and what are you hunting though?? :)

i appreciate it wrangy! I have my brother watching the tank and he says he doesn’t see any more corals receding.

I’m hunting whitetail in missouri . Woke up to -4* this morning.
1C9DF266-B1A0-4213-939A-B0723A9788A9.jpeg

Looks like things might have a pretty good chance of bouncing back, based on the photos shared. I lost my HW to a super fast encrusting PC Rainbow. I couldn't believe it, the thing encroached up onto the base of the plug in like.... 8 days while I was traveling. Stung the whole Home Wrecker to death.

Meanwhile the Cherry Bomb I got from you is having my WD growing up into it, and they are getting along just fine.

Anyways, keep your head up, I think the hunting trip will be the refreshing break you need, I still need to transfer my tank over to my new place, and it always looks better when I go back to feed, less of me involved I guess!

I’m glad to hear the CB is doing good! Share a picture when you can. It’s gotta look pretty cool with the wd growing next to it.

i know it’ll bounce back and it’s not like it’s going to make me quit the hobby but it’s just disheartening when i have a upgrade in the works and now this puts everything on hold

OP
OP
SneakyTortuga

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s everything on my mind. Excuse my word vomit...

After coming home from vacation the tank has done progressively worse. So far the kill count:
TSA rainbow fusion
Tsa starscream (favorite coral in the tank$
Homewrecker colony
Ora pearlberry
Wwc little red Ferrari
And a few others I can’t remember the names of at the moment.

i couldn’t figure out what was going on. I Kept things things as stable as possible and just continued with weekly water changes. I made the hard decision to transfer 90% of my surviving corals to my brothers tank and moved forward with the tank transfer. I didn’t feel like waiting 3 months for the corals to start doing better to do the transfer. I haven’t seen Any of the transferred corals but from what Ive been told they are doing better.

As for the tank transfer..... I officially have a 225 gallon tank. It’s running and full of rock. It took all day Sunday from 9am to 12am Monday to get most of everything done. I still need to tweak the plumbing, organize the all the equipment, play with the rock scape but for the most part it’s up and running. It’s overwhelming how much bigger this tank is over my 80gallon/30gallon previous tanks. My motivation is at a all time low due to all the coral issues but I’m trying my best to keep motivated with the new build. By the end of the week I should be posting some pictures

MrWheelock

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man sorry to hear about your troubles, hope things turn around for you.
Good to hear you got the new tank up and running, its gonna be a beauty!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back