Unique 60 gallon custom build

Dafingb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

Like many others here I am returning to the hobby after taking a break for several years. I have decided rather than a standard tank I want to build a more unique system. I am looking for advice, suggestions, critiques, really any help from the vast wealth of knowledge you all have.

Let me start by saying I have not purchased any equipment at this time. I want to make sure that my idea is going to work before I sink any money into this project. My design is fairly straightforward in concept but while building it I have determined there is much more than I originally thought.

Now onto the design. Photos attached are a pretty good representation of what I am wanting. The My idea is to have a system with four display tanks and one sump. The display tanks will be standard 15 gallon tanks and the sump will be a 30 gallon tank. The tanks will be arranged two over two with the sump below in an enclosed cabinet. The plumbing will run up the center of the stand and tee off into each of the display tanks. I am planning on using ¾” schedule 40 PVC for plumbing. I plan on installing gate valves at each tank to control water flow on the return line. Each tank will be drilled with two holes, one for drain and one for return. I will be making in-tank overflows for each display tank. For filtration I plan on separating the sump into 3 sections. I will be using a ReefMat 250 fleece roller paired with Reef Octopus 4” skimmer in the first chamber. Second chamber will be a refugium. The last chamber will be a heater and return pump. For lighting I plan on using 4 AquaIllumination prime 16HD, one for each tank.

So the questions are: Do you see any flaws with my design? Does the concept seem doable? Am I missing any glaring issues? I appreciate any feedback you can provide!

Equipment list:

Display tank – 15 gallon standard tank w/ custom in-tank overflow

Sump – 30 gallon tank with custom partitions to make 3 chambers

Frame/stand – Custom built stand with enclosed cabinet for sump and equipment

Plumbing – ¾” schedule 40 PVC

Mechanical filtration – Red Sea ReefMat 250 fleece roller filter

Protein Skimmer – Reef Octopus Classic 110INT 4” internal protein skimmer

Return Pump – Sicce Syncra SDC 6.0 Wifi controllable pump (530-1450 GPH)

Heater – BRS 300W Titanium Aquarium heater system – WiFi

Refugium lighting – Tunze Eco Chic Waterproof Refugium LED light

Display lighting – 4 AquaIllumination Prime 16 HD LED Reef Light – Black Body

ATO – Red Sea ReefATO+ Auto Top Off System

Tank Setup 01.jpg Tank Setup 02.jpg Tank Setup 03.jpg Tank Setup 04.jpg Tank Setup 05.jpg Tank Setup 06.jpg

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this idea. I think if finished properly and with everything looking as rendered, it will be really cool.

Something to ponder...the space above your sump. You need more overhead there for room to work, unless you could buy a heavy duty industrial slider that allowed you to undo the drain and return unions and slide the sump toward you....

Welcome!

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this idea. I think if finished properly and with everything looking as rendered, it will be really cool.

Something to ponder...the space above your sump. You need more overhead there for room to work, unless you could buy a heavy duty industrial slider that allowed you to undo the drain and return unions and slide the sump toward you....

Welcome!

Yeah I agree with clearance on the sump. It looks really good and the valves to adjust return flow will be key to making things equal . I wonder if you use flex pvc on your sump unions if it would slide out without disconnecting anything?

I really love the slide out idea!

KrazyWhiteRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon! I like this concept but i do have a question. I didn't see where you mentioned check valves. Are you incorporating them into the plumbing? I'm thinking that without them you could have a heck of a mess on your hands with the sump return. You could theoretically migrate water from a higher tank to a lower causing it to overflow.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back