So. Erm, there's a monster in my sump...

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, there's always that one fish that you get as your first test fish... For your new cycled tank. I put the first in the empty refugium as I was rescaping. The next morning he's missing. I thought he just died and was eaten by the hermits with it. So... One and a half years later. Hes in my filtration area where I put my ceramic rings.

How do I get it out. It's hiding in holes like a quater to half inch wide. ( It's a orange stripe prawn goby so he's fast)

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, there's always that one fish that you get as your first test fish... For your new cycled tank. I put the first in the empty refugium as I was rescaping. The next morning he's missing. I thought he just died and was eaten by the hermits with it. So... One and a half years later. Hes in my filtration area where I put my ceramic rings.

How do I get it out. It's hiding in holes like a quater to half inch wide. ( It's a orange stripe prawn goby so he's fast)
Most importantly, great reminder to those overfeeding their fish. This thing survived for 1.5 years without direct feeding.

OP
OP
alexytman

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most importantly, great reminder to those overfeeding their fish. This thing survived for 1.5 years without direct feeding.
Though I have no nutrition issues... Test says around 1 to 5.... It's a cube of mysis... For like 5 medium sized fish...

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me the reason to get him out is so you can enjoy him in the tank!

To catch fish in tide pools I used cut a small hole in the side of a plastic water or soda bottle, put bait in and leave it in the tide pool, then cover the hole with my hand as I lifted it out. I caught loads of blennies that way when I was a kid (I’d put them back in the ocean after)

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small water bottle trap sounds to be the way to go. I've used it to remove a couple of aggressive fish, although none as small as that little guy. One suggestion is to keep the bottle vertical as it puts the fish at a disadvantage for getting out and makes it easier for you to remove.

Kelso

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hardly call it a monster, but kudos for it being able to survive there. Life can find a way, many times its unexpected.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 31 29.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 20 18.7%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 26.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 26 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back