So I have a seam leak.. ugh Tank transfer advice please.

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, no fun... I have a seam that is expanding slowly (my own fault for letting the tank stay dry when I took a break) that will put a bathtub of water on my floor sooner than later.
My current plan is to set up the “new” tank in a not so ideal place.. Close to the existing tank. But I want the tank to be where the “old” old tank is.

It basically is a tank move.. 3 hours in the back of a truck. very nice setup Socal weather right now is friendly.
How detrimental would it be to basically move it again .. and how much time should I wait...
or should I just Brute the current tank the night before... about 15 varieties of differing frags and rock..also going bare bottom… it’s 2-month's-old, solid parameters, no fish 30 or so CUC Snails.

OP
OP
ColoredRock

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been watching it "grow" each mark is 5 to 7 days

1634678202492.png

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an example work thread that will skip cycle you into the new tank pls take pics so we can use to help others pattern these emergency moves:

@hawk82 your thread is still helping others nice job on pics man

and that rinse…clean as a whistle

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coloredrock

the single most important aspect is the tap water sandbed rinse, don’t short change it, perfect cloudless transfer is what makes these work

it may take 2 straight hours of rinsing to do it right, cloudless equals skip cycle don’t use bottle bac we don’t need it. All actions are covered well above

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
even easier , just put everything into brute with heater and bubbler then transfer it’ll still cycle a bit due to new surface area

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can leave it out and it will still skip cycle, the live rock carries the filtration alone just fine, still don’t add bottle bac the rocks are loaded and ready. Let’s see how much live rock you have post tank shot / curious to see

the sand rinse thread is fifty pages of sand removal the live rock will be fine, it’s still excess surface area for the fish at hand.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've swapped out tanks in the past. Putting a new one in the same place as the old one.
I've used everything from livestock water troughs, to kiddie plastic swimming pools.
As long as there is water movement, and heat you should have no problem.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my gosh thats high quality live rock and a ton of it. certain to skip cycle. *detritus tends to stick even to live rocks, so swish-twist them around in tank water or clean saltwater before moving over. lack of bacteria is never the cycle risk, its always mud that rides over where problems happen so if those rocks are moved cleanly you have a guaranteed skip cycle setup, just like they do for all marine aquarium conventions. the sand commits a very small degree of filtration assistance/ammonia control to the overall setup its ok to completely forego it in the new setup.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's going to depend on how much space and bins you have or want to buy. If you have a spare container you drain water and put in habitants in that with some of the rock and a heater.

If you're really cramped for space, make some water change water, and then drain some tank water into that container and add some tank water and livestock. This is like doing a big water change. Then pump this back into the new tank once it's in place

OP
OP
ColoredRock

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my gosh thats high quality live rock and a ton of it
what happens I guess when you might be a hoarder... lol... I am glad I kept it.. was a good base to start. I come from the stadium wall of rock/ DSB background... Rock in the back left was from an established tank.. to seed.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 167 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back