Solo Anthias. Start with female or male?

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im hoping to add a solo anthia to my Reefer 425 (47”x22”x22”). I’m purchasing quarantined from Dr Reef who allows you to pick the sex and males aren’t much of an upsell. Will I have any aggression issues if I start with a male? Will a solo female transition to male?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im hoping to add a solo anthia to my Reefer 425 (47”x22”x22”). I’m purchasing quarantined from Dr Reef who allows you to pick the sex and males aren’t much of an upsell. Will I have any aggression issues if I start with a male? Will a solo female transition to male?
A female will probably transition to male though anthias don’t tend to show aggression to other fish. Usually it’s just to their own species. A male will be more aggressive to other anthias. A female will probably be a younger fish too so may live longer.

Last edited:

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A long time ago I got a group (6) of female lyretail. One started transitioning into a male with in a week. The transitioning male beat the snot out of the others when they weren't doing the same to each other. In the end the only one that survived was the male. Standard 125g. I tried a single female queen that stayed female for the entire time I had her, about a year and a half. I love them but not for me. I was under the impression they wont always transition if no conspecifics exist.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back