Something is wrong with my Fox Face

Capt.Mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fox face (I’ve had him for over 6 months) is laying in the sand, “breathing” very fast, shows visual signs of stress with his color and kind of just goong with the flow of water (as if he is lifeless). Yesterday he had no issues full of color and eating. I am baffled by how fast this came on and asking for help on identifying and fixing the issue. I see no spots on him and no wounds on his fins or body

I added a very small sailfin tang about a week ago and a couple of days in I saw what I believed to be 2 specks of ick on it. I added 1ml of garlic to the fish food in hopes of helping with this. The sail fin cleared up in 2 days and i haven’t seen anything on any of the fish since. I have no clue if it’s related at all but it is good info.
please help me image.jpg

Attachments

• 66615259321__5489D9E0-0B6A-4B70-AF4D-24504428E702.MOV
    2 MB

KYnewbee42103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could be stress from the new tank mate? is the fox getting bullied? I have purple tang who never made nice with my fox face and it is a battle every night they hate each other with a passion. Luckily there are spots for my fox face to hide. Tangs usually show ick first and it gets worse. I hope that's not it! Maybe get a water test to make sure?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fox face (I’ve had him for over 6 months) is laying in the sand, “breathing” very fast, shows visual signs of stress with his color and kind of just goong with the flow of water (as if he is lifeless). Yesterday he had no issues full of color and eating. I am baffled by how fast this came on and asking for help on identifying and fixing the issue. I see no spots on him and no wounds on his fins or body

I added a very small sailfin tang about a week ago and a couple of days in I saw what I believed to be 2 specks of ick on it. I added 1ml of garlic to the fish food in hopes of helping with this. The sail fin cleared up in 2 days and i haven’t seen anything on any of the fish since. I have no clue if it’s related at all but it is good info.
please help me image.jpg

The video isn't in focus, but the fish is clearly breathing so fast it can't hold its position in the water. It is VERY difficult to bring a fish back from the edge like that.

It is rare, but not impossible, that the sailfin brought a disease into the tank, but it just hasn't been as affected (yet).

At this point, I think you need to try a "hail Mary" 5 minute FW dip on the foxface to see if that relieves the symptoms. It may kill the fish outright, but if so, it was going to die soon anyway. Remember not to get stung, foxface have venomous spines.

Jay

OP
OP
C

Capt.Mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video isn't in focus, but the fish is clearly breathing so fast it can't hold its position in the water. It is VERY difficult to bring a fish back from the edge like that.

It is rare, but not impossible, that the sailfin brought a disease into the tank, but it just hasn't been as affected (yet).

At this point, I think you need to try a "hail Mary" 5 minute FW dip on the foxface to see if that relieves the symptoms. It may kill the fish outright, but if so, it was going to die soon anyway. Remember not to get stung, foxface have venomous spines.

Jay
He died overnight. Still worried about my other fish in the tank. This was very sudden and all happened in a matter of 12 hrs

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He died overnight. Still worried about my other fish in the tank. This was very sudden and all happened in a matter of 12 hrs

Sorry to hear....

The only advice I can offer is to watch the remaining fish very closely for increased respiration rates. I will actually count gill beats in fish over time to watch for subtle increases.....

Jay

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.2%
Back