Space invader pectinia placement?

BillyC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whe the heck do I put mine? I have a standard 120 with 250w halides and 2 mp40s.

Show me pics too!

landlord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wherever you ultimately decide to place it, if it is like mine it has some crazy long sweepers and I imagine it could wreck the day of any coral that it touches. The sweepers go non stop day or night on my piece. Incidentally it is kept currently in the bottom corner of a standard 90 gallon. Flow is medium at best and the lighting would be whatever reaches it from a Radion hung 8 inches from the surface. I do not have this guy shaded in any way he gets full lighting. Radion wavelength is set to match a 20K bulb from 10:00 AM till 6:00 PM

Picture is several weeks old before the coral was moved to the substrate

SpaceInvaders.jpg

It's a beautiful piece. I am sure you are enjoying it.

:) Kurt

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, I love the way it looks! Definitely going to be on the look out for one when the price drops. Looks like they're getting around more. :)

OP
OP
BillyC

BillyC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, I love the way it looks! Definitely going to be on the look out for one when the price drops. Looks like they're getting around more. :)

It might be a while before price drops. They're not easy to frag and everyone wants to keep their colonies cause they look so dang cool. It been around for like 2 years or more already and price has been pretty stable. Just get one!! :p

akma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine under T5's. I've had them right in front of my mp10 high on the tank, mid tank and medium flow, sandbed etc. Seems to do good anywhere.
Here it is with just my reefbrite strips on that I just took.

spaceinvader2_zpse94ccff7.jpg

spaceinvader_zpsa102f09b.jpg

Lacktaters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it grows much faster in partial shade. Most people label this as a very slow grower. I know a number of people (including myself) that have found decent growth when providing pectinias with partial shade. This and the jack-o-lantern lepto are two corals that I think everyone should buy regardless of whether you are a "chalice guy" or an "acro guy". The only knock on the SI pectinia results from its space requirements, but don't let that hold you back from buying one of the sickest corals available.

Chancereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a nice size one a few months ago and was insance now it look to be melting over nice I text my tank everyday and it consistent I was feeding almost every other day any suggestions

eja99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have mine in low light ~ 30 inches below my AI Sols in turbulent flow. Recently it has stated to take off . IMO once it hits a certain size it grows fast.

The sweepers are no joke. The longest on SI is between 6-8 inches and it nukes everything in its path.

Igarc009

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It can handle high light, just have to acclimate it slowly but for general rule I wold start off low light, med flow and work from there. Sorry for FTS only picture I have of it.

Mikevipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for raising a old thread but the Space Invader is hands down my favorite and I wanted to share my success.

Fragged and grown under Kessil 160we 6 inches under water, 6 inches above water 78% intensity medium flow next to power head but not in front. Once they grow larger than the stone frag they are moved middle tank in 90 gal, 80% intensity 360we.

Frags start as about the size of a sphere the diameter of a nickel. Time from frag to the large size shown in my photos is 8-9 months.

I do not direct feed.

Now that I have a bunch of large pieces I will start to experiment more with placements similar to those others here have had success with and post back with growth comparisons.

20160224_225306.jpg
20160224_212251.jpg
20160224_212350.jpg
20160224_212310.jpg

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 60 74.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back