Sparty's 120 Mixed Reef Build

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in the computer world, the "mercedes" of fans would be Noctua, a cheaper alternative though and extremely quite as well are the cooler master fans.

Sec let me find a Newegg link, I'm sure Rev won't crucify me for a link to a computer site :p Hopefully

These bad boys are the best of the best: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608026

These are what I would use though because I'm cheap and find them pretty darn close: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103052

Plus 4 for the price of 1 :p

I use the coolermaster fans on my CPU Heatsinks and have never heard a peep out of them, as I typically set them up in push pull as well.

If you have the room, maybe mount two on each side each blowing opposite directions so:

Left Rear - In
Left Front - Out
Right Rear - Out
Right Front - In

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't think about it, but since you custom made your stand, you might also have the option of cooling your sump area also with fans? Is the front still off? If so maybe some 3/8" holes and a few fans down there might help as well.

OP
OP
iemsparticus

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in the computer world, the "mercedes" of fans would be Noctua, a cheaper alternative though and extremely quite as well are the cooler master fans.

Sec let me find a Newegg link, I'm sure Rev won't crucify me for a link to a computer site :p Hopefully

These bad boys are the best of the best: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608026

These are what I would use though because I'm cheap and find them pretty darn close: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103052

Plus 4 for the price of 1 :p

I use the coolermaster fans on my CPU Heatsinks and have never heard a peep out of them, as I typically set them up in push pull as well.

If you have the room, maybe mount two on each side each blowing opposite directions so:

Left Rear - In
Left Front - Out
Right Rear - Out
Right Front - In
I saved the page in case @revhtree censors you... ;)

I didn't think about it, but since you custom made your stand, you might also have the option of cooling your sump area also with fans? Is the front still off? If so maybe some 3/8" holes and a few fans down there might help as well.

The front of the stand comes on and off at will... I use magnets and bracers instead of hinges... it allows for quick easy access.

It would be no big thing to cool the hood and/or the sump area... what ever would work best. :)

Thoughts?

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly possibly both depending on how much heat you're getting. For two different reasons though.

The Hood: Because this is where the majority of your heat is coming from. If you can increase the air exchange rate in the hood it should help expedite cooling.

The Sump: Because in an enclosed stand the temp in the sump will end up being pretty close to the temp of the tank, so if you keep your tank at say 78, your sump area will mostly stay at 78ish as well.

The best bang for your buck would be the hood first IMO, but if that doesn't do it, get some good cross flow going in the sump as well. You are going to start evaporating more water, but water was cheaper then electricity or even just the thought of adding a chiller, let alone actually adding one.

OP
OP
iemsparticus

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one thing about my sump is that it’s very crowded:

F6244E4C-4AF4-48CD-86C7-FF90182FC07B.jpeg

Not sure how much evaporation I could accomplish pushing air across the top of the water in there.

I’m still going back and forth whether or not to run 4x Kessil, or the 2x Kessil 4x T5 tubes I am currently running.

But see this is where I can get in trouble because I can be a tinkerer... and I hear reefs don’t enjoy that so much... ;)

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL I feel you man. I mean Say you got 8 fans and attached 4 to the hood and 4 to the walls of the sump cabinet itself. You're not necessarily trying to cool the water in the sump itself, but more the air in and around the sump. I was suggesting attaching them to the walls of the stand as I saw in your previous photo how crowded it was down there. If you simply blow warm sump air across the sump it won't accomplish anything, you need an exchange of house air down there.

Worst case scenario you're out $30 unless you can re-purpose the fans, best case scenario you don't have to buy 2 new Kessils :p Besides I'm a stubborn DIYer and like to try to make things work how I originally designed them even if they are doomed to fail regardless :p

So yeah to be clear, the fans in the hood are for exchanging air as fast as possible around the lights, the fans in the sump are to keep the stagnant 78-80 air from sitting around the sump itself exchanging it with "fresh" cooler air from within the house.

OP
OP
iemsparticus

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok all, so I am slightly behind on updates here.

First off, I absolutely started corals too soon. I did not properly have my ZEOvit cycle completed, because I used dry rock instead of the recommended live rock... which is OK if you understand that it will take substantially longer to get your system stable. After lots of different GHA and Cyano outbreaks, some of my corals have had major success, and some are now white skeletons. I’m still getting different blooms, so I won’t be adding any more corals until that all works itself out.. and it is. The tank is looking much better than it has.

58C7272C-F1AE-491E-9DB9-283044CAFE18.jpeg

Random iPhone FTS magically appears...

Another thing that has happened is that I have lost two different fish to my overflow... :(

I lost my McCosker's Flasher Wrasse, and I lost my male Picasso Clown. Once I lost the Wrasse, I should have fixed the issue right away, but I put it off, and paid the price. :(

I will be replacing the Wrasse, but my first order of business is now to bond a new clownfish with my current female Picasso. On a recommendation by @Amoo, I emailed the folks at Cultivated Reef, and they are sending me a new Picasso, which will be here tomorrow. He will be between 1-1.5” long, which will be the perfect size to bond him with my female. I will be keeping this thread updated with this process, which will likely include several trips to the acclimation box for the new little guy. Meanwhile, QT is ready and waiting for him...

384690F8-B897-4B7C-88FF-764D41B5B64B.jpeg

I also plan to document the ZEOvit process I have undergone... I think it might be helpful for others.

Last edited:
OP
OP
iemsparticus

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some iPhone coral shots...

C603D2DD-1D44-4F6A-A75A-762282CE5FEE.jpeg

My Duncan had three heads when I got it... now it has 6, with a couple new ones on the way. At some point I assume it will encrust over the plug? For now it’s cramming as many heads as it can on the original stalk.

3EB45FCF-787A-4277-9B0F-2FF6B9D193D0.jpeg

My Mint Stylophora was a single finger when I got it... it’s grown like crazy!

D0D0B5B9-6109-4D04-B098-C1B784400D52.jpeg
68F1A1BB-98A3-47BA-88ED-59E23D5DBB2E.jpeg

A couple Zoanthid pictures... I like them. :)

OP
OP
iemsparticus

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update!

Tank is doing great... cyano and GHA blooms are really dying down and have been for a week... I might be nearing the end of the ugly phase tunnel, folks... though I have thought that before and been wrong... lol!

I neglected to take an FTS earlier, and now it’s a bit too blue to get a great shot... I’ll try tomorrow.

The little Picasso got here Thursday morning. He has been eating LRS Fish Frenzy very well. He came directly from the breeding facility, and is very timid about being by himself, so he hides most of the day. It was not easy but I got some pictures... gives you an idea regarding his markings...

103D30BD-2E71-4230-9563-7E3F94227138.jpeg
9F6B8D90-7202-41EE-B7C2-04AF2BC6ACEB.jpeg
F7F58D20-6336-4D0F-89D2-9CA8E75CB00A.jpeg
3CB0574B-B7AD-4918-96D7-C0B1F6FA8357.jpeg

The saltcreep on the tank looks a little odd... I don’t clean the front of the glass on my QT much... lol

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so latest update.

b4e231e1624ec59819c6f3caa34f9885.jpg

Plumbing (except for emergency drain... this is a BeanAnimal staple overflow) is shown here.

9209ee34233834b80be1169ac9149758.jpg

c358db96f84f4463063f53e964027d56.jpg

Putting sand and water in... I am really trying to make the reef a whole family affair... my kids have never been to the ocean, and it's exciting for them to experience it in our living room. :)

Plus, I want to teach them about this eco system, and give them a passion for keeping it thriving.

b0f273993c231281201309ea6bff3c81.jpg

Everything is working well! All loose unions/bulk heads that leaked are right now, Apex is up and running, skimmer and Zeo reactor are working well, etc... Salinity is a little high still, at 1.028, but I'm off to work, so I'll have to fix that tomorrow. Tomorrow, hopefully, we'll get the ZeoVit Cycle started, and then in 10 days, we add the Clownfish! :)

What kind of sump is that? Trigger?

OP
OP
iemsparticus

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So one of the issues that I had in my system was a pretty severe potassium deficiency. It seems that’s a common issue with ZEO tanks, and the theory is that the zeolites that are used tend to pull potassium out of the water... which means it is necessary, at least in my tank, to dose potassium.

The deficiency had an almost catastrophic result... it almost took out my Reverse Superman Monti from Battle Corals... and I do mean almost killed it. I wish I took a picture of the monti at it’s worst to show y’all how bad it was... but it was increadibly pale to almost white all over as I was trying to be patient and get the potassium up slowly. The last thing I wanted to do was remember how I killed this awesome looking monti. However, as I worked and worked at the potassium... one thing struck me... the monti stopped getting WORSE. It just kind of stayed terrible... but wasn’t getting WORSE. Surely that was a good sign?

I was finally able to get my potassium back where I wanted, and almost immediately, I started to notice tiny hints of hope from my monti... I could swear that I started to see feint bluish polyps appearing sparsely...

And now I’m happy to say that my monti has made a full recovery. There was certainly some STN on the side facing the front... but it will eventually encrust right over that... and here it is today!

D88E2EF8-8A38-4E31-8C75-E60DE17F8A69.jpeg

Lastly...

AFC267E6-65FC-41CE-B023-6ABD0874DE0E.jpeg
7718E5B3-3BC1-46E0-9616-8AD578E14EAD.jpeg

My new Picasso is in the acclimation box! So far nonaggression through the box... we’ll see when he comes out. Thanks again for the help in selecting and pairing clowns @Amoo

OP
OP
iemsparticus

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C3A794A0-1BE8-40AA-A07C-B809F9297CBE.jpeg

So far, so good! Only very very minor “nipping” (and it’s hard to even call it that... more like standard Clownfish herding behavior) from the girl. They have been together now for about 20 minutes, and are completely inseparable. :)

OP
OP
iemsparticus

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates:

I recently added a Diamond Goby to the tank, and the sand bed has been amazing ever since. :)

I’m pretty much done adding fish... at least for a good long time. I have a bonded pair of Neon Gobies coming (my previous one disappeared a while ago... no clue what happened there...). Eventually I am thinking I will try my hand at getting a Mandarin... but for now I’m happy with my crew. :)

Still getting spurts of Cyano, but it’s easy to deal with and it doesn’t seem to be harming anything... if anything right now coraline algae is beginning to really take hold as well, and I’ve reached the point where my corals are... well...

Corals are absolutely taking off at this point... a couple of my acros have become completely encrusted into their rocks, some are starting to color up much better, and the Duncan can’t stop sprouting new heads. I have Xenias in there that melted at first... I thought for sure they were goners... but they are coming back now. My two wall Hammers are getting big.

Pictures! It’s getting late so it’s pretty blue...
2A2F6591-B53F-490B-AECA-8EAE7CAC03EB.jpeg
1A8C23E6-7ED5-496C-B7AD-95701709B97D.jpeg
3359DB4F-35FC-4DC6-BD81-4D9095EE917F.jpeg
19AF5E9A-B073-41CD-A117-0C72D9880FA0.jpeg
01C4417C-5DE8-48ED-86B7-EE51EF930333.jpeg
32411301-8FBA-4399-A36E-6DA64E93044B.jpeg
1ADA7DBE-A5B7-493D-B8F8-828EF1840144.jpeg

Back