Species specific 16 gallon nanocube... options?

DesertOasis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to possibly switch my 16 gallon biocube over to species specific and was wondering what species would work well. i'm not looking at seahorses but I was curious about frogfish. Seems like the tank is on the smaller side for that one but might work. What do you all think?

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a Wartskin angler would be cool in a small aquarium like 10 to 15 gallons. It’s on my list of wants somewhere down the line.

Lateral72

Chaetodontidae
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll be a challenge to find it, but I'd recommend a Pygmy Angler (Antennatus tuberosus) if you're interested in an Anglerfish. They stay perfect sized for a Biocube. You could even do a pair.

The normal Wartskins get far too big for a 16 biocube, and will put a heavy tax on water quality.

21JUL14_LightMarblePigmyAngler_175i_Invrt_001.jpg B_MqnojUsAA_sKB.png large.png

Lateral72

Chaetodontidae
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll be a challenge to find it, but I'd recommend a Pygmy Angler (Antennatus tuberosus) if you're interested in an Anglerfish. They stay perfect sized for a Biocube. You could even do a pair.

The normal Wartskins get far too big for a 16 biocube, and will put a heavy tax on water quality.
Circling back... I'm going to put a rider on my recommendation.

Pygmy Anglers are very challenging to keep, and require an experienced keeper. If you are new to the hobby, I'd advise against one.

There are a few small Waspfish that might fit the bill and are easier to keep.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wartskin angler or (Antennarius maculatus) get 4” and LiveAquaria recommends a minimum 20 gallon. I think a 16 biocube would be fine. Throw some marinepur spheres in for major bio filtration. I see these for sale from 3/4” to an 1” maybe a tiny bit bigger.
C70E22D6-943D-4B37-B03D-B24C3303B3EE.png

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wartys do appreciate more room, you can see my vid and others of them actually swimming. Many fish like anglers, scorps, and lions are kept in way too small tanks. The trait of being sedendary makes people thing they can put them in just tiny boxes, this will lead to a very early untimely death. They will be more active and thrive with more room and stimulation. As @Lateral72 said the pygmy or pair would be ok in a 16, as he also added they are very challenging. My tiny scorps even need more room than a 16, as well as the wasp.

What about some barnacle blennies.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back