OP
OP
Mike1995

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mike1995 you first reported a low salinity...then recalibrated to calibration fluid....and now report a very high salinity at SG of 1.036. That is very high....48 ppt (note 1.026 sg is 35 ppt). I'd highly recommend having a fellow reefer test your salinity or take a sample to your LFS and have them test.

Why?

OP
OP
Mike1995

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With snails and hermits, they are surviving in 1.037 already so keep adding fresh. I had a similar problem almost 2 years ago and my salinity was right around your number. I had snails, hermits, clown fish, damsels, a toadstool, a brain and zoas. A few of the damsels died from the high sg though. When I realized it was that high I brought it down to 1.026 overnight and everything survived just fine and are all still living today. I am always comfortable bringing sg down fast but going up verrry slow.

BTW you did not waste anyone's time. Members still posted helpful information that may be useful to others.

My tank is 75g. Can I remove some water and add fresh? How much would you say I should remove?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Something just doesn't seem right. I've never seen a refractometer off more than 0.002 sg that was calibrated with RO/DI. You went from 1.015 (20 ppt) calibrating with RO/DI, to 1.037 (48 ppt) calibrating with 35 ppt calibration fluid. So a difference of 0.022 sg....that's enormous, and just doesn't seem possible. Something is not right and I'm just trying to help identify what's going on.

OP
OP
Mike1995

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something just doesn't seem right. I've never seen a refractometer off more than 0.002 sg that was calibrated with RO/DI. You went from 1.015 (20 ppt) calibrating with RO/DI, to 1.037 (48 ppt) calibrating with 35 ppt calibration fluid. So a difference of 0.022 sg....that's enormous, and just doesn't seem possible. Something is not right and I'm just trying to help identify what's going on.

I thought I was "calibrating" it. It was my error. I wasn't doing it correctly haha. Once I knew how to do it correctly from you all I realized my numbers we're way higher than they are supposed to be. Thanks for helping! :)

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 with redfishbluefish on the updated salinity. Get another measurement as soon as you can.

Dang, that would be high. The Dead Sea is ~34% if I remember correctly.

Please keep us updated.

OP
OP
Mike1995

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 with redfishbluefish on the updated salinity. Get another measurement as soon as you can.

Dang, that would be high. The Dead Sea is ~34% if I remember correctly.

Please keep us updated.

I got it down to 1.025 with small water changes and adding more freshwater. Used rodi water so it took all night. Am I at a good SG now?

SurfLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it down to 1.025 with small water changes and adding more freshwater. Used rodi water so it took all night. Am I at a good SG now?

Yes you are. However... I do agree with redfishbf, I would take a sample to someone or a LFS and have them verify what you are seeing. If you are still getting incorrect readings you need to know that now before anything else.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 57 43.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 61 46.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back