Spider Web like worms

MischiefReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, thanks in advance for any help. I’m hoping for some help IDing a wormlike hitch hiker based on description alone. I apologize I did not manage to get a photo of this thing as it only seemed to come out after lights off and it was super thin, the camera would not focus. I will try to give the best description that I can:
This was far thinner than a spaghetti worm, picture a single spider web strand. It was so thin that I saw it a few times and initially thought it was a single strand of hair algae attached on my plate coral. The length of it was about 6-7inches. It also had 2inch branches coming off of it at even segments. These branches were offset on each side. I attached a photo below of a ladder to illustrate the pattern of these branches. The plate coral this was on is sitting raised up on a frag rack and this thing was extending downwards and swaying in the flow. I only realized that it was not hair algae when I saw it twitch in an extending/retracting fashion. It was repeatedly extending its 6-7inch length and then retracting back into the underside of the coral within a split second. The branches seemed like they collapsed when it retracted but would extend out again in the same split second as the main “trunk”.
Closest thing I could find in my frantic forum search was branching or digitate hydroids, which caused me to panic and peroxide dip the plate. I think the dip killed the hitchhiker, but then I started to question my own ID of hydroids as I’ve never encountered them. I would still like to figure out what it was if anyone has even the slightest clue or even a guess please let me hear it. Thank you again!

Heres a picture representing what the structure of this creature looked like. The horizontal branches were about 2-3x longer in relation to this scale.
0F3ACE66-CB93-45E7-8C6D-DF4B60916C15.png

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen some worms that sound similar but without the branches and have always left them as they didn't seem to be causing any issues with any corals. Sorry, but I don't have any idea as to the genus or species.

OP
OP
MischiefReef

MischiefReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen some worms that sound similar but without the branches and have always left them as they didn't seem to be causing any issues with any corals. Sorry, but I don't have any idea as to the genus or species.
Thank you for your input! That’s really interesting to note. Given the shape of the thing I’m not surprised more people haven’t really reported or even noticed it, if they’ve even encountered it. I actually saw the thing several times, even observed it quite closely several times before I even noticed it was doing the movement and 100% for sure not an algae strand. I actually rubbed my eyes cause I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 60 74.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back