sps bleaching

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so finally decicded to get into sps tank is 2 years old mainly easy corals got a couple of pieces from my lfs store noticed 2 pieces started to bleach from the base up though the other 3 are looking goods here are my parameters tank is 200 gallons
i have 6 foot tank lighting 3xr30 g5 pros with a t5 hybrid fixture with 4 blue plus bulbs running ab+ program radions from 11to 8 t5 from 1 to 4
alk 8.4
cal 440
mag 1460
salinity 1.025
phosphates 0.09
nitrates 6.2
using hanna checker for all
dont do water changes so dosing tropic marin a and k as well as np bacto balance to try and keep phosphates and nitrates stable im i doin this wrong

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so finally decicded to get into sps tank is 2 years old mainly easy corals got a couple of pieces from my lfs store noticed 2 pieces started to bleach from the base up though the other 3 are looking goods here are my parameters tank is 200 gallons
i have 6 foot tank lighting 3xr30 g5 pros with a t5 hybrid fixture with 4 blue plus bulbs running ab+ program radions from 11to 8 t5 from 1 to 4
alk 8.4
cal 440
mag 1460
salinity 1.025
phosphates 0.09
nitrates 6.2
using hanna checker for all
dont do water changes so dosing tropic marin a and k as well as np bacto balance to try and keep phosphates and nitrates stable im i doin this wrong
Pictures would help a lot. How long before the STN or Bleaching started happening. Magnesium looks a little hight but I don't think it would be responsible for STN.

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You talked about light. your Lights may be a lot more intense (and water clearer) than the LFS and your new corals are expelling zooxanthellae to compensate for the more intense light. Or, It could just be to adjust to the new environment they are in now. If they are turning lite brown and not white, the opposite may be true . Your lights are not as bright as the LFS and the corals are loading up with more zooxanthellae to compensate for less light. You may just need to give them time to adjust.

If you have a black light (you can buy a cheap flashlight one on Amazon) check them at night with the lights off. If they are fluorescent, they are alive, but going through adjustment. Monitor them. White, they are expelling everything, light brown or tan, them are loading up Or adjusting their photo synthesizing algae. If normal green algae starts growing on them, that will be a bad sign.

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a pic

Attachments

• IMG_0712.jpeg
    IMG_0712.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just cut the white part out lowered it to see if I can save it but others are doin fine

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
far as flow i have the new gyre xf350 cloud edition running at 10% they are extremely powerfull there is alot of water movement so doubt its the flow tried at 20% but torhes and hammers are geting blown away see poylp movement on my other sps

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just cut the white part out lowered it to see if I can save it but others are doin fine
You might have to frag that one so your coral isn't bleaching it's experiencing STN or slow tissue necrosis. Rtn is rapid tissue necrosis. Flow and light seem fine. That looks like an acropora colony right?? They can be super picky and temperamental. When they start going like that sometimes the only thing to save it is to cut it about half an inch above where it is dying and do an iodine dip. Then glue the pieces to a plug.

TopShelfAquatics

Follow us on Instagram @topshelfaquatics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Your parameters look pretty good. If there are pretty stable then that is likely not the issue. What temp are you keeping the tank at? How many powerheads are you running and at what intensity and have you PAR mapped your tank? Radions alone are very powerful, but then add T5s it is very easy to fry some acros. If you have not PAR mapped your tank I would definitely see if you LFS offer PAR meeter rentals so you can get an idea of how much light your corals are receiving.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 39.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 36 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back