SPS corals turning brown/losing color?

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed on the Mag, should be higher. As far as salinity, I think fish dealers like LiveAquaria usually say 1.024-1.027, but IMO acros tend to do best at NSW level which is 1.0264. Also, though a tank might do well at 1.024, it would not do well fluctuating back and forth between 1.024 and 1.027. You want to keep that level. Got an ATO?

How often are you testing Salinity, Cal, Alk, Mag, Nitrate, Phosphate? While it's ok for Cal and Mag to fluctuate a bit, IMO Salinity, Alk, Nitrate, Phosphate should fluctuate very little. The key is stability and it seems that might be one thing this tank is lacking.

OP
OP
Maxx Yung

Maxx Yung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also consider increasing magnesium level closer to 1300. 1150 is getting bottomed out ime.
Based upon your written descriptions, I have also seen anecdotal improvement in N/P numbers by adding a few drops of Microbacter7 (1x/wk-max) & increasing tank circulation which increases O2 exchange to improve discoloration and nutrient imbalances.

The problem is that changing everything at once won't help you figure out your specific issue. That said, increasing O2 exchange & circulation can often be done by pointing water current towards the surface of your tank.

Just some thoughts, hoping for the best- Kris

Sorry, Mg is 1250, that was a typo.
Will try Microbacter 7 + increasing O2 exchange. If it doesn't work, will go with ICP testing.

OP
OP
Maxx Yung

Maxx Yung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed on the Mag, should be higher. As far as salinity, I think fish dealers like LiveAquaria usually say 1.024-1.027, but IMO acros tend to do best at NSW level which is 1.0264. Also, though a tank might do well at 1.024, it would not do well fluctuating back and forth between 1.024 and 1.027. You want to keep that level. Got an ATO?

How often are you testing Salinity, Cal, Alk, Mag, Nitrate, Phosphate? While it's ok for Cal and Mag to fluctuate a bit, IMO Salinity, Alk, Nitrate, Phosphate should fluctuate very little. The key is stability and it seems that might be one thing this tank is lacking.

Alk - Every week or 4 days~.
Ca - Every week or 4 days~.
Mag - Every month.
Nitrate - Every 2-3 weeks.
Phosphate - Every week or 4 days~.
Salinity - Every 1-2 weeks. I have a 200g, and adding water really doesn't change the salinity too much.

My phosphate level chart:
1601596862788.png

Salinity here as well:
1601596889776.png
Note that each value is a week apart, total of 3 months.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably say those fluctuations may be a bit too much for acros. A lot can happen in a week, especially with Alk. I test my Alk 4 times a day with an Alkatronic. I realize that's a bit OCD, but I would say if you want acros you should probably test every few days, at least until your tank stabilizes. Those salinity and phosphate charts above do not look like a stable tank to me. I keep my salinity between 1.0263-1.0265 and my phosphate between 0.03-0.06. IMO acros don't like a lot of change.

I would think that with a tank that size, stability would be much easier to maintain. You just need to test more until you stabilize and make adjustments to keep your parameters in line.

OP
OP
Maxx Yung

Maxx Yung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably say those fluctuations may be a bit too much for acros. A lot can happen in a week, especially with Alk. I test my Alk 4 times a day with an Alkatronic. I realize that's a bit OCD, but I would say if you want acros you should probably test every few days, at least until your tank stabilizes. Those salinity and phosphate charts above do not look like a stable tank to me. I keep my salinity between 1.0263-1.0265 and my phosphate between 0.03-0.06. IMO acros don't like a lot of change.

I would think that with a tank that size, stability would be much easier to maintain. You just need to test more until you stabilize and make adjustments to keep your parameters in line.

Wow, that is an incredibly small range!!
I always thought Salinity would be fine as long as it is within 1.024-1.027.
As for Phosphate, I am trying to reduce it currently, so I would expect swings. Hopefully after it is at 0.1 it will be more stable.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agree. Salinity should not vary and needs to be stable. On a 200 your ato should keep it much more stable than that.
I test alk daily and it only takes a few minutes with hanna.
I log it manually.
This way I can catch any drift in alk if it happens quickly.
Note: I dosed fluconazole at 1/2 dose and alk went up due to acros reducing uptake.
I caught it quickly and made an adjustment until alk useage went back to normal after all algae was gone.
I only test phosphate every few weeks as its stable.
I did have a small spike from fluconazole from algae released when it died.
I had a few acros brown from it going up but it only got to .08 and I run .02.
Stability wins the race, imo.
And dont reduce feeding just increase nutrient export.

OP
OP
Maxx Yung

Maxx Yung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. Salinity should not vary and needs to be stable. On a 200 your ato should keep it much more stable than that.
I test alk daily and it only takes a few minutes with hanna.
I log it manually.
This way I can catch any drift in alk if it happens quickly.
Note: I dosed fluconazole at 1/2 dose and alk went up due to acros reducing uptake.
I caught it quickly and made an adjustment until alk useage went back to normal after all algae was gone.
I only test phosphate every few weeks as its stable.
I did have a small spike from fluconazole from algae released when it died.
I had a few acros brown from it going up but it only got to .08 and I run .02.
Stability wins the race, imo.
And dont reduce feeding just increase nutrient export.

Yeah, should invest in an ATO... hm...
Black Friday will be getting Phosphate and Alk Hanna Checkers.
Definately increasing feeding now. 6 cubes a day, fish is so fat.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, should invest in an ATO... hm...
Black Friday will be getting Phosphate and Alk Hanna Checkers.
Definately increasing feeding now. 6 cubes a day, fish is so fat.
Well that explains the fluctuations in salinity.
Ato is a must and an important part of stability.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back