St thomas may have eaten my Goby

Aeiyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a gorgeous red st thomas a week ago. I also ordered an adorable clown goby for my nano (14g peninsula) that arrived the same day, along with a bunch of new zoas for a planned zoa garden.

Got everything acclimated, goby was a perfect citizen, doing everything I'd expect from her. Perching on corals, being super photogenic, loved it. Three days later, couldn't find her. Moved rocks, looked everywhere. She had been perching on the St. Thomas often and it didn't seem to mind so I didn't connect the dots. I checked my rear filter chambers, pulled my ulva fuge basket, everything. And no little yellow jellybean anywhere on my floor so not a jumper.

Saddened after three more days I gave up. Maybe she had a bad night and cleaners left no trace. But then I saw it: my mocha clown. My clown has been nibbling at the St. Thomas like an Anemone. I mean, it technically is one after all. Still the coral cared not. Then, my mocha LAYED DOWN on the mushroom, and what happened blew my mind. The speed at which I saw this mushroom immediately try to snare the clown was incredible. I have never seen a feeding response in any of my other softies - rhodactus and yuma included - quite like this before. Then it clicked. I think my St. Thomas ate the clown goby .

Did some research and have found similar stories. Mostly of huge EE mushies doing it, but a few instances of St. Thomas and other large size rhodactis with small fish. The more I think about it, the more I'm sure this had to be what happened. Has anyone else ever had this happen before? I'd like another clown goby but refuse to let this happen again so I've refrained from getting another one.

Anyways, just a possible cautionary tale. It won't prevent me from keeping either of these species but in the future I think I'll do a nice pico tank with only zoas for a Clown Goby.

Pic included, the mushroom really is gorgeous and so was the little fish.

20240222_164838.jpg 20240222_104611.jpg 20240222_104432.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a natural behavior. What can you do ?

OP
OP
A

Aeiyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a natural behavior. What can you do ?
Oh I'm not arguing it. Just not something I had expected. I have many rhodactus mushrooms and those are so lazy they rarely even react when I put food right on them. Wasn't expecting the st. Thomas to be so predatory.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back