Starry blennies and ywg?

7h0m4s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys still new to reefing and I’m currently in a bit of a situation. I got a yellow watchman golby pair with a shrimp about 4 months ago and I thought it was dead because I haven’t seen it in over 2 month but all of a suddenly it popped out of no where tonight. When it came out to the open my starry blennies was chasing it and attack it but would stop after a few time.Could the blenny be bullying the ywg so much causing it not to come out?ywg is about 2 inch and blenny is a little bigger. I’m guessing best is to remove the starry blennies? Anyone else have this issue?
Here is a before and after picture of my ywg it’s changed colors and blennies. Thanks

IMG_2040.jpeg IMG_2042.png IMG_2043.png

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any shrimp goby can and will disappear for extended periods without provocation I feel like. They do live in tunnels after all. I have a wheeler goby, diamond goby, and a lawn mower blenny in my IM200 and they all get along nicely. If the Wheeler comes out at all, it’s usually at night when everyone else is sleeping.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's normal to not see much of a ywg paired with a shrimp. They usually stay in their little cave being happy. :)
As for the blenny, you said it stopped chasing the ywg after a bit...? I would bet he's just being a brat. My blennies and gobies sometimes square off, opening their mouths real big to be extra intimidating, but then get bored of it pretty quickly. The ywg may have ventured into the blenny's territory and the blenny was just being possessive.

OP
OP

7h0m4s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for all the quick replies guys, soo the next morning I saw my ywg all banged up with the fins all torn and was at the top swimming like it’s trying to escape. It could have been out all night but I decided to take him out and throw him in my qt tank for now, (hopefully that’s the right thing to do) currently looks like this and is chilling at the bottom. Tried to feed but seemed not interested. Hopefully in a day or two it will.

IMG_2067.jpeg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for all the quick replies guys, soo the next morning I saw my ywg all banged up with the fins all torn and was at the top swimming like it’s trying to escape. It could have been out all night but I decided to take him out and throw him in my qt tank for now, (hopefully that’s the right thing to do) currently looks like this and is chilling at the bottom. Tried to feed but seemed not interested. Hopefully in a day or two it will.

IMG_2067.jpeg
I hope it recovers! Are you planning on treating it with anything? If possible, add some PVC elbows or small rocks so it has a place to feel secure.

OP
OP

7h0m4s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope it recovers! Are you planning on treating it with anything? If possible, add some PVC elbows or small rocks so it has a place to feel secure.
I do have stuff just in case I do plan on it, just trying to do the right research and the correct things I do have pvc pipe . currently it just like to lay on the ground and hang out, doesn’t seem to interested in food right now.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Starry Blennies can get big. I've got mine in a 6' tank with a Lawnmower Blenny. The only things keeping him in check are the Foxface and Tomini Tang.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back