Start of the ugly stage?

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started seeing small hair-like growth and brown spots emerging on my white rock scape. It’s been years since I set up a new tank so forgot what the beginning of ugly stage looked like. Here is some pictures:

B2585343-33E4-4418-B95F-D04B19FCC1C2.jpeg

5A2DBEA1-12E6-4B13-B656-F47622ED8D5E.jpeg

can anyone id these hair and brown spot(right side of second picture). I will add CuC in the next week and would like to know what type of algea these are and choose the cuc accordingly. Thanks!

OP
OP
jiffyjhn

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump. The hairs are getting longer and there is more brown covering the rocks.

Going to pick up a CUC tomorrow. Any suggestions on what to get for CuC and how many to get?

Also what's a good algae eating fish for a 32 gallon tank?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the green is not "uglies". It's green algae, maybe bryopsis or similar.

thatone08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could turn the lights of for two days, and see if that helps. Also siphon as much as you can of that out. Could also use vibrant.

what are your parameters at?

OP
OP
jiffyjhn

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could turn the lights of for two days, and see if that helps. Also siphon as much as you can of that out. Could also use vibrant.

what are your parameters at?
thanks will siphon it out on next water change.

ammonia: 0
nitrite:0
Nitrate: 5
Phosphate(old test kit expired need to get a new kit before I can check it)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
These have roots which indicate bryopsis. Pull all by hand and root must be removed with either a dental pick OR small crochet needle. Unlike hair algae, reducing lights wont do much. Pin cushion or tuxedo urchins, Emerald Crabs, chitons, and even the larger astrea snails will eat this type of algae, but often cant consume it faster than it can grow, or the algae lingers half eaten.
Ways to get rid of it:
-Remove all you can by hand. Just be careful about it, and if you can pull the rock out to remove it all the better. If it has taken hold in the sand, sift it out with a net. If you don't remove the roots, it will grow back.
-Starve it out by lowering nutrients as nuisance algae has a harder time taking hold, or coming back after manual removal.
- Repeat every time you see a little bit come back. Try to be aggressive when removing these species.

OP
OP
jiffyjhn

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the brown spots look like this too, or more filmy? What do you have as a clean up crew now?
The brown spots got a lot bigger and fused into larger brown areas with fuzzy looking texture. Doesn’t look like a slimy film.

I just bought a couple of trochus snails. And some blue leg hermits. Acclimating them now.
Should I get a emerald crab if it’s bryopsis?

thatone08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The brown spots got a lot bigger and fused into larger brown areas with fuzzy looking texture. Doesn’t look like a slimy film.

I just bought a couple of trochus snails. And some blue leg hermits. Acclimating them now.
Do you have brown spots on the sand and glass also?
The crab I will let @vetteguy53081 answer that. Don’t have experience.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Although emerald crab May attack it, I trust a politician more than I trust an emerald crab.

OP
OP
jiffyjhn

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t like emerald crab either. Had one in my old tank and was a neusance.

update: Put in the trochus snails in and they are going to town on the brown stuff. Hopefully they will eat the hairy stuff too.

thatone08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would mix up your snails a bit. Since it doesn’t look like you have to many corals on the rock currently from the pictures. A few turbos wouldn’t hurt anything. As far as the rooted stuff in the sand. That will be easier then on the rock. Maybe the hermits will take care of it. Or you can do a few nassarius to stir up the bed and hopefully floats up and into the over flow. Or a turkey baster to suck it up, in between vacuuming the sand.

Brown stuff on glass. I know it’s ugly to look at, but resist cleaning the glass until the day before your doing a water change . Otherwise it will just end up on the sand and rock and spread like crazy.

OP
OP
jiffyjhn

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
The trochus snails are doing a fantastic job. The areas they have gone thru, all the brown stuff is gone and most of the hair/bryopsis is gone as well.

Going to add a couple of nassarius snail and a turbo snail. Also skipping feeding and leaving my lights off a few days while keeping the chaeto light on.

New skimmer is arriving next week so hopefully that will help lower nutrients as well

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 62 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back