Starting a copepod culture questions

Gray Levison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I'm planning to start culturing copepods at home in a 5 gallon tank and was wondering a couple things...
1- Is it necessary to cure the tank before adding the copepods? I've seen a lot of people online culturing copepods in containers like a two liter bottle so I know they didn't culture it first. I would be testing the water and doing water changes regularly.
2- How many pods should I add at first? I was planning on using the Algagen Tisbe pods that come in a plastic bag...I'm not sure how many are actually in there so should I just add one bag or multiple bags?
3- What should I feed them to achieve optimal culture growth? I know most people just use regular phytoplankton but are there any supplements that would help? I already buy Phytofeast Live for my reef tank so would adding a few drops help spur growth? Any other supplements?

Kamden Uelton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the Copepods for? Personally, I have never tried Culturing anything but it sounds fairly "easy" you're method looks nice I would say add 1 bag to save money and let them reproduce

Ley3198

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. No need to cure the buckets, just make sure you rinse them out.

2. I would suggest half a bag in a bucket and the other half in the fridge in case the first batch crashes.

3. Phytofeast is as good as it gets in terms of offering a varied diet to the pods.

Depending on what your are feeding the pods too, you could cultivate a specific species of phytoplankton to supplement certain nutrients.

As far as population wise, just keep the water green.

Pods are used to feed picky fish or fish fry during their larval stages.

OP
OP
G

Gray Levison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the Copepods for? Personally, I have never tried Culturing anything but it sounds fairly "easy" you're method looks nice I would say add 1 bag to save money and let them reproduce
Do you think I need to cure the tank since it's only going to be 5 gallons (probably even a little less than that). I'm culturing them to feed dragonets by the way. My tank has plenty of copepods already but I'm worried multiple dragonets will quickly diminish the population.

OP
OP
G

Gray Levison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. No need to cure the buckets, just make sure you rinse them out.

2. I would suggest half a bag in a bucket and the other half in the fridge in case the first batch crashes.

3. Phytofeast is as good as it gets in terms of offering a varied diet to the pods.

Depending on what your are feeding the pods too, you could cultivate a specific species of phytoplankton to supplement certain nutrients.

As far as population wise, just keep the water green.

Pods are used to feed picky fish or fish fry during their larval stages.
Have you ever cultured pods before? How much phytoplankton and Phytofeast would you recommend?

Ley3198

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think I need to cure the tank since it's only going to be 5 gallons (probably even a little less than that). I'm culturing them to feed dragonets by the way. My tank has plenty of copepods already but I'm worried multiple dragonets will quickly diminish the population.

If its never had water, it wouldn't hurt to fill it up with water and let it sit for a bit. I think I just rinsed my stuff out with tap water and let dry.

Great initiative towards keeping dragonets. It'll be easier than it seems after you get going.

I have 3 in a 40b and still see plenty of pods on the glass walls, but Iv also managed to train them all to eat a variety of frozen foods.

Good luck with your journey.

Ley3198

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever cultured pods before? How much phytoplankton and Phytofeast would you recommend?

Yeah, I have cultures of Tisbe, Tigriopus, and a mix of those that also have some apocyclops as well. They have been going for like 3-4 months now. I also cultivate my own nannochloropsis. Its the best beginner phyto, very hardy and easy to maintain.

I just dose until the water is greenish so I wouldn't be able to tell you exactly how much. Its much easier to notice with white buckets than orange ones.

All of this for dragonets as well. I really want to try breeding Green mandarins eventually.

OP
OP
G

Gray Levison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I have cultures of Tisbe, Tigriopus, and a mix of those that also have some apocyclops as well. They have been going for like 3-4 months now. I also cultivate my own nannochloropsis. Its the best beginner phyto, very hardy and easy to maintain.

I just dose until the water is greenish so I wouldn't be able to tell you exactly how much. Its much easier to notice with white buckets than orange ones.

All of this for dragonets as well. I really want to try breeding Green mandarins eventually.
According to my research and what I've learned on this forum, the only equipment I need is the 5 gallon tank, air pump, phytoplankton, and the pods...is that everything?

Ley3198

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to my research and what I've learned on this forum, the only equipment I need is the 5 gallon tank, air pump, phytoplankton, and the pods...is that everything?

Correct. Some airline tubing and optionally some hard air line tubing (the rubber tubing likes to bend after prolonged exposure to the water) and an air flow control valve if you want and your all set.

I haven't tested keeping the air at full blast, but I have read that they prefer bubbles per second and is also what I do with all my cultures.

OP
OP
G

Gray Levison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. Some airline tubing and optionally some hard air line tubing (the rubber tubing likes to bend after prolonged exposure to the water) and an air flow control valve if you want and your all set.

I haven't tested keeping the air at full blast, but I have read that they prefer bubbles per second and is also what I do with all my cultures.
A bag of Algagen Tisbe pods contains approximately 200-300 pods...Is this enough to start with?
Thanks for all the help by the way!

Ley3198

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bag of Algagen Tisbe pods contains approximately 200-300 pods...Is this enough to start with?
Thanks for all the help by the way!

It should. It might just take a bit longer for the colony to explode in growth. Remember you are trying to create a light green clouding effect and not to overfeed. According to algagen "Live microalgae should be fed at a rate sufficient to be “cleared” within 18-24 hours", so keep that in mind. Once the colony is bigger, over feeding shouldn't be too much of a concern.

Anytime! Its my pleasure to help out. Anything to help someone taking the extra step to take care of their dragonets.
Wishing you the best of luck with the project.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 36 19.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 139 74.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.8%
Back