steveschuergers 90 gallon Goni heavy mixed reef.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This an upgrade from the 60 gallon SR that I’ve had up and running. Partly due to having to consolidate tanks as I’m having to move next May. This had been a freshwater setup that I had running since July of 2021 but had a major pump failure earlier this midsummer and lost most of the livestock. Hence instead of rebuilding the freshwater setup I’m going with a reef. So here’s the tank that I’m moving the contents from.
IMG_3595.jpeg

Heres the tank I’m moving it into. Have had a bit of cleaning to do. Firstpic was this mid morning the last tonight.
IMG_1455.jpeg
IMG_1456.jpeg
IMG_3668.jpeg

Heres the initial equipment list
90 gallon Acrylic AIO with a Fluval 407 for added filtration. Intend to use the canister for chemical filtering and polishing the water.
Two Nero 3s
Tunze 6040
Jebao TW10
Helios controller with 300 watt titanium heater
ReefBreeders Photon v2 32 . Possibly adding a couple Lumenbars that have on hand to help with the added depth of the tank.
i have about 70 lbs of live rock , probably adding a bit more
Using 120 lbs of CaribSea Ocean Direct sand. No old sand but I’m going to do a thorough sifting to get any organisms that I want to keep.
Livestock includes
41 (at present) Gonis
3 Alveopora
9 Torches
8 Frogspawn
3 Hammers
10 Micromussa
7 Montipora
5 Acros
5 Stylophora
2 Bowerbanki
and few assorted other coral
BlueStar Leopard wrasse
Melanurus wrasse
Blue Eyed Bristletooth Tang
Orange Spot Blenny
2 Ocellaris Clowns
2 Bangaii Cardinals
assorted snails
Pincushion Urchin
Sea Cucumber
‘and various sand dwellers

Last edited:
OP
OP
steveschuerger

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I think I’m aiming for Tuesday for the move. Is it normal for second guessing the move? Things are looking good right now so I guess I’m nervous, especially with the last move and having the voltage leak in the heater I was using for one of the holding tubs. Hopefully a lot smoother this time.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the move. Understand nervous with tank looking so good. 41 gonis is impressive!! Whats your secret. Ljust lost a goni at 6 month mark. Wondering what i did wrong

OP
OP
steveschuerger

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the move. Understand nervous with tank looking so good. 41 gonis is impressive!! Whats your secret. Ljust lost a goni at 6 month mark. Wondering what i did wrong
Probably nothing on your part. I’ve lost Gonis that were looking great, then gone after being in the tank 2 years. I just give decent not excessive flow and well,PAR is all over. Weekly adds of kz 4 part micro element, daily 2 part Alk/Cal, magnesium in small amounts several times a week, and a small amount of iodide Once or twice a week .

OP
OP
steveschuerger

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This my initial thoughts on placement. Will probably get thrown out like bath water when actually in process, but it’s good to at least pretend I have an idea for what goes where
1699808017800.png

OP
OP
steveschuerger

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my wife made a suggestion which makes total sense. Fill the sand and enough water to allow the filter to work for clearing the water when I add the rocks, corals and fish plus all the other stuff. So when I get done with bringing groceries home in a bit that’s the plan. So just enough for the 407 to work . It’ll be a noisy waterfall but small price to pay.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So my wife made a suggestion which makes total sense. Fill the sand and enough water to allow the filter to work for clearing the water when I add the rocks, corals and fish plus all the other stuff. So when I get done with bringing groceries home in a bit that’s the plan. So just enough for the 407 to work . It’ll be a noisy waterfall but small price to pay.
That's what I did when I moved to the 125, only I took about a month moving everything all slow like.

OP
OP
steveschuerger

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks pretty gross between the sand‘s cloudiness and I didn’t get the back as clean as I thought I did. Hopefully by Tuesday it’ll look better. i found a few small pieces of rock in the refugium(which isn’t going to be used, it’s going to @stoney7713 ) . When I do move the tanks I’ll empty out some of this water and take as much of the other tanks water into it as possible.
IMG_1467.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back