Stock help (First saltwater)

Suicida_Grass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the general idea I have right now for my 40 gallon breeder with tidal 110:

- 1 Flame angle
- 2 Frostbite clowns
- 1 Purple firefish goby
- 1 Diamond goby
- 1 yellow prawn goby
- 2 zebra gobys

————

As far as the above fish goes, someone I’ve talked to said the list would work, but I’m concerned about the amount of gobies. I’ve considered switching out the two zebra gobies and possibly getting 3 green chromis instead?

Also, I really like wrasse, and I’m assuming the person I talked to was right when they said I can’t have a six line or carpenter?

I also liked the idea of having one pajama cardinal (but not if I get a wrasse).

To me it just seemed like most the fish on there are bottom dwellers that won’t be out much, and the only fish I’d really be seeing much of is the dwarf angle and the clowns, so to me it makes sense to be able to either have another fish that will swim around like that pajama cardinal or the wrasse.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a flame angel and two damsels in my 40b. The flame hides all the time. I really think they need a larger tank to have an adequate life in captivity.

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a rule of thumb, you can always check liveaquaria.com for what they think is a good minimum tank size. Though a small flame angel may be okay in a 40B, they get up to 4". Live aquaria suggests a minimum of 70g for long term success.

The six line wrasse needs a 55g, though from personal experience, I think that one would be perfectly fine. The carpenter wrasse may also be okay, but I find they are harder to keep than the 6 line.

Just make sure to have tops on the tank if you're looking at any wrasse. They're all known to jump out of the tank.

Hope this helps :)

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally love Dottybacks and have a Neon and Splendid in my 200 gallon and an Electric Indigo in my 45 gallon. They do dig and hide under rocks, but they are out and swimming most of the day. I also really love my Bangaii Cardinals and they spend most of the day out and about in the middle of the tank. A pair of Clownfish would also be good although if they decide to host the back of the tank you will only see them during feeding time.

I agree that the Flame Angel probably needs a bigger tank as my Dwarf Angel, spends all day swimming the entire length of my 6 foot tank back and forth, but when I had it in a 45 gallon QT it hid in the rock the entire time.

Hope that helps.

OP
OP
S

Suicida_Grass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like everybody who’s commented agrees the angle should have a minimum of 70 gallons, so I’ll wait until I get a larger aquarium to get him.

I still really like the two clowns, and I would like to have one other fish that would be swimming around instead of hiding in the rocks like the gobies. Any ideas for what I can replace the angle with?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back