Strange Discolored spot on Mandarin

LRGlory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to this forum, this isy forst post here. I just picked up Mandarin from the LFS yesterday, and already I notice a rather glaring issue. I was ready to deal with the issue of feeding after he would kill all my pods, but he won't touch them. I think this mayy have to do with a large white discolored spot behind his right fin. It doesn't seem to affect his mobility, he still moves all fins just fine, and remains upright and breathing (though heavily). However, he has, for the most part, remained in the exact same spot except when the fire shrimp or other invert annoys him (no other fish). Help please, he's sliming all over the place, and if he doesn't eat soon, he may pass the "point of no return."

20170528_150807.jpg

20170528_150522.jpg

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a bacterial infection :/ He will need to get into QT to be treated.

Do you have any nutrimar ova? My green mandarin started eating it right away in QT...

OP
OP
L

LRGlory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a bacterial infection :/ He will need to get into QT to be treated.

Do you have any nutrimar ova? My green mandarin started eating it right away in QT...

No ova, its hard to find down here, I do have cyclops though. However, he doesn't even seem to be interested in eat pods, let alone anything frozen. I thought it may be a bacterial infection, but I also saw him lying on the heater for some time this morning before I shook him off. Could it be a burn?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No ova, its hard to find down here, I do have cyclops though. However, he doesn't even seem to be interested in eat pods, let alone anything frozen. I thought it may be a bacterial infection, but I also saw him lying on the heater for some time this morning before I shook him off. Could it be a burn?

I highly doubt it's a burn, unless your heater is seriously malfunctioning. I've seen plenty of fish cuddle with heaters and come away unscathed.

The ova is really a miracle food, baby brine might be useful as well (but, watch how much you add to a small QT to avoid ammonia issues)

I'm fairly certain it's bacterial. He's not likely to start eating while he is ill, but the treatment will be rough on him if he's not eating also. It's a tough spot to be in with this fish :/

OP
OP
L

LRGlory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly doubt it's a burn, unless your heater is seriously malfunctioning. I've seen plenty of fish cuddle with heaters and come away unscathed.

The ova is really a miracle food, baby brine might be useful as well (but, watch how much you add to a small QT to avoid ammonia issues)

I'm fairly certain it's bacterial. He's not likely to start eating while he is ill, but the treatment will be rough on him if he's not eating also. It's a tough spot to be in with this fish :/
Yeah no kidding, I'm worried with this fish. The spot is rapidly spread (probably doubled in size since I saw it this morning), and skin has actually begun to slough off. A separate quarantine is not an option for me at the moment, are there any reef-safe anti-bacterial medications?

OP
OP
L

LRGlory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, for an update, neither the quarantine or the medication is necessary because the fish is definitely dead. It took one last spasm and stop breathing. By that time the spot had grown 3x the size in the 10 hours or so I've seen it. Didn't think bacterial infections could work that fast, very curious as to how it happend.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, for an update, neither the quarantine or the medication is necessary because the fish is definitely dead. It took one last spasm and stop breathing. By that time the spot had grown 3x the size in the 10 hours or so I've seen it. Didn't think bacterial infections could work that fast, very curious as to how it happend.

Likely a gram-negative bacteria, they are unfortunately very fast-killing

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the top down shot of the fish. It appears to be extremely thin already.

So sorry for the loss.

It's difficult, but in general they should look like little sausages with almost no other shape or contour on ther sides. Unfortunately being that thin it was probably sueptable to any infection.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agreed ^^ I've seen many mandys die quickly from an infection of this kind. It's very difficult to save them from it as it acts so quickly. I'm sorry for your loss.

OP
OP
L

LRGlory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the top down shot of the fish. It appears to be extremely thin already.

So sorry for the loss.

It's difficult, but in general they should look like little sausages with almost no other shape or contour on ther sides. Unfortunately being that thin it was probably sueptable to any infection.
Agreed ^^ I've seen many mandys die quickly from an infection of this kind. It's very difficult to save them from it as it acts so quickly. I'm sorry for your loss.
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I don't know if these infections are contagious, but I plan on giving my LFS a heads up just in case. I removed the body from the aquarium, but I plan on keeping it for a few days in case the LFS wanted to see it. Perhaps this is just an oddity to me, as I have never seen anything like this. Thanks for all the input.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 21.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 108 73.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back