Strange question for you folks!

esloan88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got my tank up and running and it is running well. I am in love with it and the hobby. However, there is one thing my tank lacks that I would love to have in it....Cthulhu!

For those of you who don't know, Cthulhu is an ancient god created by the horror write H.P. Lovecraft. He 'sleeps' deep in the ocean. Lovecraft is one of my favorite fictional creations and since I obviously can't get a real one, I would love to have a Cthulhu statue in my tank. A stone or rock statue would be perfect but I can't find one.

So, my question is, are there any 'reef' safe alternatives out there? I have seen many Cthulhu statues made of resin out there but I have no idea if they are reef safe. I don't want anything leaching into my tank. I found the one below on Amazon but I worry it will harm my corals and fish.

Any advice or suggestion would be most welcome! Thanks!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...6-9fdc-425a-aee8-c82daa7b18ed&pf_rd_i=desktop

easternreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you considered buying one the size you want and making a mold of it. and then use a reef rock recipe to recreate it unpainted.

OP
OP
esloan88

esloan88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you considered buying one the size you want and making a mold of it. and then use a reef rock recipe to recreate it unpainted.

Hmmm, that might be a great idea. Do you know of a good 'reef rock recipe' that would work for that? I have never looked for any as I have just used Pukani and such.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also spray that statue with a reef safe clear coat. I don't know what they use but they're always covering the fake coral inserts with a clear coat on that show Tanked.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Cthulhu! would be fairly easy to create in cement. You could coat that one in Vaseline and make a plaster cast of it in two pieces. Then fill that female cast with cement and have a cement replica. But it would be cement color.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back