Stray Voltage

Razorbacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any amount of stray voltage in the aquarium that's considered "acceptable"? It could be user error because I just bought the voltage meter and using it for the first time, but I suspect my hipargero A029 is creating some stray current in the water. Again it could be user error. When I set the voltage meter to "200m" on the DC side, I cannot get the reading to sit still if the lights are plugged in. It's typically only a few volts, but seems to spike higher too. The second I unplug the light the reading zeroes out. What's weird is I only get the reading in the water. I've tried touching it to the light itself and it's cord but don't get the same random fluctuations. I also tried getting a reading on the AC side but don't get one.

I'm digging into stray voltage because I've run out of ideas. Only one of my original corals is hanging on. I went and bought a few new ones yesterday (GPS and Xenia). Despite just a quick coral rx dip, neither looks great today. I thought maybe they're just adjusting to different parameters, but they actually looked better when I first put them in than they do now. I also recalled thinging it was strange that the GSP seemed to open up more afterhours when the lights were out while today none have come out at all. I've tested all water parameters and even added some carbon "just in case" but can't find anything wrong parameter wise.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are getting stray voltage chances are that it is AC so you want to use the AC volts settings. 200m sounds more like milliamps instead of voltage. The photo below is my meter and I don't see a setting like you describe. It could be it is not auto ranging like this one is. The first setting on this next to off is AC volts. The second one in clock wise direction is DC volts. Then there is DC millivolts, them ohms and capacitance, then diode check, Then milliamps and amps and last microamps. I can try and help if you post a photo of your meter. Also is you lighting fluorescent lighting? If so it might be induced voltage.

BD019DF6-A08B-44AE-AD92-A60C586661F3.jpeg

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is set to DC voltage with full range of 200 millivolt. Millivolt is 1/1000 of a volt so it is a very small amount. The water can act as an antenna just like you holding the metal part of the probe. The millivolt range is very sensitive to interference You may be able to get the same reaction in any body of water on that scale. I get up to 120mv sitting on the couch and holding the metal of the probes one in each hand.

Last edited:

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any amount of stray voltage in the aquarium that's considered "acceptable"? It could be user error because I just bought the voltage meter and using it for the first time, but I suspect my hipargero A029 is creating some stray current in the water. Again it could be user error. When I set the voltage meter to "200m" on the DC side, I cannot get the reading to sit still if the lights are plugged in. It's typically only a few volts, but seems to spike higher too. The second I unplug the light the reading zeroes out. What's weird is I only get the reading in the water. I've tried touching it to the light itself and it's cord but don't get the same random fluctuations. I also tried getting a reading on the AC side but don't get one.

I'm digging into stray voltage because I've run out of ideas. Only one of my original corals is hanging on. I went and bought a few new ones yesterday (GPS and Xenia). Despite just a quick coral rx dip, neither looks great today. I thought maybe they're just adjusting to different parameters, but they actually looked better when I first put them in than they do now. I also recalled thinging it was strange that the GSP seemed to open up more afterhours when the lights were out while today none have come out at all. I've tested all water parameters and even added some carbon "just in case" but can't find anything wrong parameter wise.
We might be able to help better if you post tank age, parameters, test kits, history

Not sure how 'stray voltage' hurts corals, maybe someone else can explain. We get shocked as there is a path from the water thru our bodies to ground, if 'stray voltage' is present. The corals and fish are at the same potential in saltwater.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Sounds like I don't have a problem then.
Have you sent off a sample and had an ICP test done. It will test things that you don't normally test for. It may so something out of wack that you don't have a test kit to test.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Most stray voltage will hurt fish with torn fins, etc. It affects everything in the aquarium as voltage doesn't belong there.

I've had two pieces of reefing gear that leaked voltage from new. One was a Hygger titanium heater (actually every titanium Hester I've owned leaked voltage) and an Icecap Gyre 2000 that was new.

I noticed my breeding Australian Darwin Clowns were like convulsing and acting like they were dying. I was playing with flow and removed the Gyre for another powerhead. I put the Gyre back in a week or so later, flipped the switch on my Apex and the female clown acted like I strapped her into the electric chair!

I knew right then what the culprit was. My Tang also had ripped fins out of nowhere. It's a definite thing and the reason I run at least 2 titanium grounding probes in my system at all times. They're cheap insurance and they 100% work.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back