Struggling with Aquascape and Powerhead Placement

mbarber87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my 425xl tank. My plans for it are to seed a zoa garden on the right of the main structure (near the branch) and the mix in some colorful montipora and other SPS on the right hand side.

Two Questions:
1. What do you think of the aquascape? I know it's kind of small, but I was trying to leave some swimming room for when the corals grow out. But please, send any recommendations my way! I feel like I've got schizophrenia trying to decide lol

2. What would do with your powerhead placement? Right now I have two mp40s on opposite sides of the tank. I feel like I am not putting them in the most optimal spots and its also making me kind of crazy!

Thoughts?

Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 8.35.31 PM.png

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my 425xl tank. My plans for it are to seed a zoa garden on the right of the main structure (near the branch) and the mix in some colorful montipora and other SPS on the right hand side.

Two Questions:
1. What do you think of the aquascape? I know it's kind of small, but I was trying to leave some swimming room for when the corals grow out. But please, send any recommendations my way! I feel like I've got schizophrenia trying to decide lol

2. What would do with your powerhead placement? Right now I have two mp40s on opposite sides of the tank. I feel like I am not putting them in the most optimal spots and its also making me kind of crazy!

Thoughts?

I would leave them on the sides and put 2 powerheads on the back wall.
On my 120 2 Tunze 6095, on back wall running pulse mode every 7 or so seconds.
Jebao ow-25's on the side on random.
I like your scape its minimal like mine.
Plenty of room for the corals to grow with swimming room.
20200225_194047.jpg

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely love the scape! Possibly have the Powerheads a little higher to allow for more surface agitation for gas transfer.
An easy way to visibly see the water movement would be to use a wooden airstone to create tiny bubbles in the water and then experiment from there!

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can't help you with the scape. I prefer tall.

don't overthink the pumps. as you add pieces and they start to grow out you can change pump position as needed and/or add additional.
:cool:

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Reefer XL 425 is 2 years old now. I have one Neptune WAV on the rear wall left side, and one Gyre XF-230 on the right side wall. This arrangement has worked really well for me. Here was a photo of the rockscape before adding any corals:

IMG_2745.thumb.jpg.0febf527efa27694eb7447c54314a14a.jpg

And here is a photo today, 2 years later:

1101737177_IMG_81522.thumb.jpg.1374520954b8cc3bbcb37cada821420a.jpg

U

User1

View Badges

Two Questions:

Thoughts?

I think several suggested it already - opposite sides and one of the sync functions. Please note that you more than likely will change this as the tank, and corals, mature (grow). To include what fish you keep.

I know I was struggling for a while on my tanks upgrade from a 40 breeder to a 210 gallon. So much bare rock that I was always frustrated with my flow. Even using 2 returns and 2 x XF250's gyre's. Sort of came to the conclusion there is nothing there to compete with the flow and fish just got too tired.

Not sure if you ever fished in a river or stream for trout but there is a reason they hide behind rocks, trees, stumps, etc. They conserve their energy until that piece of food floats by in the current then dart out, strike it, and dart back to the low flow. I see my Matted Filefish doing this at night - it hides behind a large soft coral to break flow :D

Anyway - you have some great recommendations here. Just wanted to say that it may change as the tank matures / grows (which you probably already know :) ). Take care and all the best!!!!!

OP
OP
mbarber87

mbarber87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Reefer XL 425 is 2 years old now. I have one Neptune WAV on the rear wall left side, and one Gyre XF-230 on the right side wall. This arrangement has worked really well for me. Here was a photo of the rockscape before adding any corals:

IMG_2745.thumb.jpg.0febf527efa27694eb7447c54314a14a.jpg

And here is a photo today, 2 years later:

1101737177_IMG_81522.thumb.jpg.1374520954b8cc3bbcb37cada821420a.jpg
Wow this is amazing! So do you place your rock close to the back wall? It looks like you’ve got a lot of swim room up front !
Amazing tank!

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquascape is tough. You really need to envision what you want it to look like in a few years and set up rockwork for that. If you want fewer, larger corals than rock needs to be minimal. If you want to keep many, smaller pruned corals than you want more rock. Do you want things that need isolated on their own rocks to prevent spreading? I think your rockwork looks good depending on what you are going for.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow this is amazing! So do you place your rock close to the back wall? It looks like you’ve got a lot of swim room up front !
Amazing tank!

I left at least 4” clearance from the glass on all sides.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back