Sudden Cyano...

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suddenly, patches of Cyano have developed in one area of my tank. And I am trying to figure out what has changed in the tank.

First, I did raise my light intensity to 100% from 80%. Perhaps this is the issue?

Second, I added Chaetomorpha to the sump.

So far, I've moved corals from the effected area to an area that is Cyano-free. I did this to increase flow in the area.

Are the lights at 100% the cause?

Did adding Chaeto throw something off balance?

Thoughts?

Dom

Beachbilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you move coral before or after the break out? pics would help also. I used chemiclean. I would recommend other ways to eradicate though. Can you take any effected areas out and spray hydrogen peroxide or cautiously dose it? Maybe do partial water changes to get the bulk out. Then the peroxide. The chemiclean causes skimmer to go crazy whether you follow directions or turn off during that treatment. I got an emerald crab the algae I gave may not have been cyno though.

Beachbilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20240113_072758.jpg

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solved my cyano with 6% hydrogen peroxide at 1ml per gallon although currently testing 5ml/g. Test tank with Pom Pom, nassarius and damsels. No clue how this dosage would affect corals and other inverts. Has also seemed to keep my dino outbreak at bay. Both rear their ugly head if I stop dosing.

Test every morning and no H2O2 persists therefore my tank is completely decomposing it. Dosage done in three equal portions and even test 20 minutes after dosing there's no remnants and I always test the strips by placing a drop of 6% on strip and it instantaneously turns deepest blue. Bottle is relatively new. Going to keep pushing the limits by increasing dosage per day. Water also extremely clear although does still have slight yellow tint as I've removed GAC.

Interestingly. Pom Pom thriving and unaffected by but overgrown GHA still persists although most of it is turning white and in certain sections has gone away. Hope is to gauge how much needed to kill the GHA and bryopsis (although that's now gone) without affecting other life. Need to add astraea since dino/cyano outbreak killed those along with my blue leg hermits and margaritas. Once dosage determined to not harm inverts then I'll try some hardier corals and move on from their. Getting a doser will help along with an ORP controller so I can monitor how this all affects the overall health and shut off the doser should that fail.

At a minimum, more natural then treating either with chemicals that could wreak havoc with bacteria or corals. Plus others using this for ich which I plan on setting up another test tank to test out. Adding UV-C can be used to not only solve organics and pathogens but for QT can be used to dissipate hydrogen peroxide where I intend to do in tank 150ppm baths for 30 minutes then turn UV-C off to dissipate vs the stress of capturing, transferring then back to tank. Only one way to know. Do it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back