Sudden death

Averhoeven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finished QT last night on a few fish. This included TTM with Prazi and metro. At around 9, with just the night lights on, I added the fish to the DT. This morning I woke up to one of the anthia dead in a bubble coral with a peppermint shrimp nibbling on him. I assume that's just sort of where he floated and landed to and the bubble couldn't actually kill him right?
The real question though, is what could have possibly resulted in a healthy, eating, active fish that completed QT dying within 12 hours in the DT? Overall, he looks good. There's no signs of disease at all. There's a couple small "bites" taken out of him that I assume are pist mortem, but otherwise he looks flawless. He was also the biggest of the school of anthias, which I would have thought would be protective. It also bugs me that I only see 2 of the 4 swimming right now, I'm just hoping the 3rd is still hiding.
I'm just at a complete loss on this one and it's super frustrating and sad.

sdcosta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would there be another fish that could have bullied it? Also how close are your QT to your DT parameters maybe not acclimated correctly?

Sometimes these things happen without an answer. Sorry this happened to you.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss.. you would most likely be correct about the fish just floating into your bubble coral. sometimes fish loss is just a mystery, I recently ordered a batch of chromes and all where sick and looked horrible except for one of them which was seemingly perfect in every way and ate like crazy within a week he died but all the sick fish survived.

OP
OP
A

Averhoeven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe bullying, but I doubt it. All the fish are acting line business as usual. Would think the people tang would be bugging the new copperband if he was gonna bug anyone, but he couldn't seem to care less.
The final TTM salinity was matched to the tank and the temp was within a degree, even so I acclimated for 30mins. Maybe he didn't acclimate well, just wouldn't have thought so.

OP
OP
A

Averhoeven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here he is out of the water and right after the shrimp dragged him from the bubble enough that the current took him right as I was trying to take a pic. You can see the chunk taken out of him right under the gills, but I assume that's after he died

20181201_100634.jpg

20181201_100629.jpg

20181201_083425.jpg

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish's belly is very sunken in. It appears this fish went quite a while in the distribution chain without food.

Since he was eating for you, I presume he just wasn't eating enough. I'm not saying that's why he died. Just an observation. You can clearly see how sunken in his belly is.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pseudoanthis are very twitchy, particularly the more delicate species like Evansii (I’m assuming that’s what it was, though could have been tuka). Fish also looks thin behind the head which means it was losing weight. That, combined with the stress of moving, could well have caused it to die. I had a few tuka years ago that I got through QT. Two literally died as I moved them, had that classic ‘heart attack’ extended jaws look that pseudoanthias often show once dead.

OP
OP
A

Averhoeven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pseudoanthis are very twitchy, particularly the more delicate species like Evansii (I’m assuming that’s what it was, though could have been tuka). Fish also looks thin behind the head which means it was losing weight. That, combined with the stress of moving, could well have caused it to die. I had a few tuka years ago that I got through QT. Two literally died as I moved them, had that classic ‘heart attack’ extended jaws look that pseudoanthias often show once dead.
It is an Evansi. He seemed to be eating in QT, but maybe not great. Didn't realize they had that "heart attack" potential. Here's the plus side at least... Snapped this pic real quick yesterday when they were all out together. They seem to be adapting to the tank quickly.

20181202_112945.jpg

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 35 18.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 139 74.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.8%
Back