Sudden deaths...

Proxses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my 75 gallon tank setup in February. The most recent fish additions were a fathead anthias and a mandarin. That was almost 7 weeks ago. Less than a week ago the anthias perished. It seemed fine, out in the open and looked great just prior. I had to pickup a coral frag that got knocked off one morning and the anthias got scared. Timid fish. The anthias hid like that for the whole day. Didn't come out to eat. The next day it was dead. Only found part of him. No idea what caused the death.
I got nervous that something was up and became hyper critical of everything the rest of the fish did... The rest of the fish being two DaVinci clowns, a firefish, coral beauty, and flame angel. The two angels have been in the tank since initial cycle.
The day after the anthias perished, the mandarin wasn't eating. He just hung out in the caves. I watched him often, and got critical of slightly cloudy water. So i refreshed my GAC. After that he was eating again, and seemed back to normal.
Yesterday I saw the mandarin in the morning and fed the tank as usual. The evening came, and I didn't go looking for him.
This morning I went looking and only found part of the body. And on top of that, the smaller of the clowns looked terrible. Splotchy like he had been worked over with a baseball bat.
Just heard from the wife that he didn't make it though the day.

What could be going on?!

I ran quarantine on all except the mandarin. I had read that they are disease resistant and do extremely poorly in quarantine.

I also have in the tank a blood red fireshrimp, a dozen blue leg hermits, two conchs, a handful of snails, and a tuxedo urchin.

The only other thing I added was a piece of rock with some zoanthids on it. That was maybe a month ago.

Most recent tests showed 1.026 salinity, zero on nitrites and ammonia of course, and nitrates down around 2. Phosphates were 0.05 I believe.

Filtration is very simple. Just chaeto in a refugium and a protein skimmer.

Ideas?

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Highest on the list would be parasite from adding an un-quarantined fish or coral/invert/rock. Curious if you'd be able to snap a picture of an affected fish if any are left. Clowns and anthias being affected makes me wonder about uronema, to which those groups of fishes are more prone. It is understood to be an opportunistic pathogen that fish are often resistant to...until some stressor event or something lowers their resistance. Clowns are also prone to brooklynella so this would be my next suspect. I can't think of non-disease issues that could cause this...maybe an aggressive fish that's taking out others one by one? I'm sure others will chime in :)

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your trouble.

Couple things, the introduction of whatever is going on probably came with the Mandarin that wasn't QTd or the rock that was added a while back.

When you say the clown was splotchy Brook is the first thing that comes to mind. Can you upload some pics of the sick fish? It is more than likely disease related, but more info, pics, symptoms are needed to narrow down exactly what is going on.

OP
OP
P

Proxses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theses are the two clowns. The smaller one is the one that passed...
It was the dark patches on the white portions that first got my attention.
Then he started to swim all around the aquarium. So probably oxygen starved.
But oxygenation in the aquarium is good. Lots of surface agitation and the protein skimmer. Plus I have tumbling water in the refugium.

54AB7C1F-5562-437E-9D32-181E6677D32F.jpeg 0188493B-E787-4EB6-9F55-61AD0A546A29.jpeg

OP
OP
P

Proxses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after eating and swimming well (staying in her spot, not swimming into the current or towards the top of the tank), the large clown was found covered in hermits this morning.
What to do with the last three fish?
I can't even identify a disease to treat...

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you’re dealing with this. If I were in your situation I’d pull them out and place in QT with copper. After you reach therapeutic levels over 2-3 dat period I’d then add API General Cure. Now keep in mind it’s not always a good idea to combine medications but copper and GC can be used together you just need to make sure you have heavy surface flow. Add an additional power head at the surface.

OP
OP
P

Proxses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was about to comment that I know flame angels are sensitive to copper. But it doesn't matter the flame passed in the night.
Down to two fish.... Coral beauty and a firefish.
I picked up stuff to reset my quarantine tank. But it'll be a day or so before it's ready with my schedule.

As for running the tank fallow, how do I determine the disease? Does it matter at this point?

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its really hard to tell by the photos. Can you get any additional photos? I’d run my tank fallow for 76 days just to be sure you hit all possibilities. Trust you don’t want to be here again in this situation.

Back