Sudden Die Off - Advice

sleizure

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate these types of threads, especially when I have to start this one. I am undergoing a massive die off in my tank that just came like wildfire. I have a sneaking suspicion that I am the cause of it, but just need a bit of validation here.

- 90% of my tank has disappeared and stopped coming out for food in the past two days - they may be alive, but are certainly not out in the open. I suspect most have passed. The ones that are remaining look like they are covered with Brook or velvet, although I've never experienced either before.

- My calcium is off the chart
- My Alk is 7.7dkH (Normally 11)
- Ammonia is 0
- Nirates 5ppm
- Sg 1.026
- Temp 76.0

The clownfish I can't get a photo of nor the foxface as they are pressed up against a rock. My anemone has retracted drastically and I noted an upside down emerald crab this morning which made me realize things were going sideways. The clownfish is showing dustyness like Brook and Velvet but I suspect since this has gone so quick its the latter. Are these pictures any view on what it actually is? Regardless, I need to pull down the tank and catch whats left and get into my QT and go fallow, question is for how long.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this!
My general rule is - if the fish are dying but the inverts are fine, it’s a disease. If all are ailing, it is a water quality issue.
How high do you think the calcium is? I wonder if you could dilute a sample and get a measurement that way?
What ammonia test are you using? Do you trust it?
Jay

OP
OP
sleizure

sleizure

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest I haven't had to test for Ammonia for over a year and a half, so it could be bogus. It's a Salifert kit.

My Calcium has always been high for some reason with this tank, as has been the pH from day one, 8.4 to 8.5 is normal (again, do I trust it? I've calibrated it many times and just let it be as this being the weirdest tank I've ever maintained). I will maybe double up the test results and then do some tests to see if I can get some better numbers.

I am regardless busy mixing some more water to do a larger scale water change. I typicallly only do 25 at a time, I think this time I need to do 100gallons at once, but That's not probably going to be ready for a few days. I need to act now. I think I'll just do what I have available and then assess then in the morning where things are at if I need to pull apart the entire tank,c atch th fish and get them in the QT (which is already to go now coincidentally).

Total volume is a 180, I had an Ich Outbreak 2 years ago and I believe I am responsible for this one as well - A couple weeks back a friends tank had to be torn down - I took the two clownfish (different ones) and put them in my QT where they remain. The Rock, I dried out for a few days, rinsed it and threw it in my refugium (not wanting to throw in qt due to copper). _that_ is the only thing that has really changed in my tank, no additions whatsoever since pre covid. I now realize I should have just let it stay outside and bleached it.

On a ridiculous, shot in the dark idea, I also found a package of Nori I bought in 2018 (still sealed) and started feeding it to my fish in the past 7 days. I'm fully to blame here that I know as this doesn't happen out of nowhere.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest I haven't had to test for Ammonia for over a year and a half, so it could be bogus. It's a Salifert kit.

My Calcium has always been high for some reason with this tank, as has been the pH from day one, 8.4 to 8.5 is normal (again, do I trust it? I've calibrated it many times and just let it be as this being the weirdest tank I've ever maintained). I will maybe double up the test results and then do some tests to see if I can get some better numbers.

I am regardless busy mixing some more water to do a larger scale water change. I typicallly only do 25 at a time, I think this time I need to do 100gallons at once, but That's not probably going to be ready for a few days. I need to act now. I think I'll just do what I have available and then assess then in the morning where things are at if I need to pull apart the entire tank,c atch th fish and get them in the QT (which is already to go now coincidentally).

Total volume is a 180, I had an Ich Outbreak 2 years ago and I believe I am responsible for this one as well - A couple weeks back a friends tank had to be torn down - I took the two clownfish (different ones) and put them in my QT where they remain. The Rock, I dried out for a few days, rinsed it and threw it in my refugium (not wanting to throw in qt due to copper). _that_ is the only thing that has really changed in my tank, no additions whatsoever since pre covid. I now realize I should have just let it stay outside and bleached it.

On a ridiculous, shot in the dark idea, I also found a package of Nori I bought in 2018 (still sealed) and started feeding it to my fish in the past 7 days. I'm fully to blame here that I know as this doesn't happen out of nowhere.
I doubt it was the nori, I ca see that losing nutrition, but I don't see how time could make it toxic. I think your water change is a good idea at this point.

Jay

OP
OP
sleizure

sleizure

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a tough day. Up early to tear down the tank to catch the fish in hopes that I could save some. I found 7 alive

Tomini Tang, perished 2 hours after moving QT Was found laying down
Sebae Clown
Hippo Tang, perished 2 hours after moving QT. Was found laying down
Foxface
Sailfin Tang was found laying down
Bangai Cardinal perished 4 hours after moving QT
Pajama Cardinal

There's still a cleaner wrasse in the tank but after pulling 90% of the rock and corals things are pretty murky to see. All the rock and corals are in 5 huge totes and I have 95 gallons of water available. I now have some better photos, perhaps this is a better identifier of what this could be?

The hippo picture was while she was still alive, but started to turn a greish colour over time.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like the fish have an external infection of some sort. Are they breathing fast? I’m on the road today and won’t have a very good response time I’m afraid. Not sure what you can really do, maybe try a freshwater dip on one of them to see if it provides any relief?
Jay

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What a tough day. Up early to tear down the tank to catch the fish in hopes that I could save some. I found 7 alive

Tomini Tang, perished 2 hours after moving QT Was found laying down
Sebae Clown
Hippo Tang, perished 2 hours after moving QT. Was found laying down
Foxface
Sailfin Tang was found laying down
Bangai Cardinal perished 4 hours after moving QT
Pajama Cardinal

There's still a cleaner wrasse in the tank but after pulling 90% of the rock and corals things are pretty murky to see. All the rock and corals are in 5 huge totes and I have 95 gallons of water available. I now have some better photos, perhaps this is a better identifier of what this could be?

The hippo picture was while she was still alive, but started to turn a greish colour over time.

The sailfin and blue hippo look like they have velvet on them. I never had any experience with velvet to this level. They will probably die before copper starts working.
Jay said try a freshwater dip. It could help. And buy them time. GL

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back