Sump build help

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about using a 20g long to make a sump for my 75g system. I'll attatch a drawing of what I had in mind and If anyone has feedback I would appreciate it. I don't really think a bubble trap is necessary but it may be. Should I switch the fuge and skimmer sections? My thought was If the fuge got the water first it would have more time to process it before the skimmer got to it. I don't know... this is my first sump build so any help would be great!

IMG_2158.JPG

OP
OP
Mandrew

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fuge will only have rocks and macros. No sand so the overflow pumping into it won't be a problem.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might think about adding a baffle and inside the baffle have a media tray

OP
OP
Mandrew

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to build one custom to fit under my stand and it would have given me another 2 inches taller and 6 inches longer but I decided I'd buy a 20 long for $30 instead of $100 worth of glass. But... still undecided

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And how? Add a baffle and some egg crate or something?
Exactly :) egg creat works perfect and myself I would have the baffle before the return. That is were I put mine.

OP
OP
Mandrew

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my first thought honestly that way the fuge and the skimmer hit it before the media, but at the same time the return section is already going to be pretty small so it might be a tight fit.

Abusfullofnuns

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go as big as you can with the return section. The bigger the return, the more leeway on top offs.

bampi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You could always swap the fuge to the other side of the return, split your drain into a controllable off shoot so you can control flow through the fuge, make that taller and put return in the center.

I'm in the process of building a sump for a similar sized display. Currently I have a 55 laying around. So far it's an awful size to work with. Wish it was a little more shallow and a little more wide.

Watching to see how you build yours :)

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth this is my personal design, water comes in in the middle, falls over a baffle onto the filter sock, from there it goes under another baffle into the skimmer section , from the skimmer it goes over into the refugium, and back into the return section.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving the skimmer compartment left and the refugium center would provide some more area for micro bubbles to escape the system as well.

SDdiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your right- don't need a bubble trap if your skimmer is well placed (1st chamber) and your baffle heights stay at 1-2 inch in height difference from eachother. I suggest switching the skimmer compartment to be the first. From my experience in building sumps there are a few key things to understand. Most important- water capacity. If your power goes out your sump must be able to hold the extra water that is drained from the overflow box, the main display water volume that is siphoned back through the return pump plumbing and ideally, the RO water in your auto top off jug so if the pump decided to short itself and dump all its water into your tank, the sump should also hold it.

Check out GMACreef.com, to understand sump and plumbing better. Consider using an online water volume calculator (http://www.firsttankguide.net/calculator.php) and have confidence knowing what your sump design can handle emergencies. Also, a felt filter sock really helps keep the sump and water free of fine debris build up- mechanical filteration. If not, your macro algae will look dusty; it's meant to filter nutrients not debris. Also, using black/ dark baffles if you can to block out fuge lighting so your equipment and other chambers don't grow algae. Your return pump section using a small but powerful and quiet DC pump will have plenty of room with a 6-8 inch chamber, I use an ATO micro top off (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/smart-ato-micro-automatic-top-off-system-autoaqua.html) it's super small, and very accurate with alarms, using a 5 gallon jug as the reservoir- lasts a week-2 weeks depending if it's winter or summer. Good luck

OP
OP
Mandrew

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always swap the fuge to the other side of the return, split your drain into a controllable off shoot so you can control flow through the fuge, make that taller and put return in the center.

I'm in the process of building a sump for a similar sized display. Currently I have a 55 laying around. So far it's an awful size to work with. Wish it was a little more shallow and a little more wide.

Watching to see how you build yours :)

I've thought about that as well. My main problem is room under my stand to get the collection cup out that's why I centered the skimmer in the sump lol

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 81 79.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.9%
Back