Sump Build HELP

nater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i am putting the baffles in my sump as we speak. have a simple question i hope some one has some input for me. so here it is.

right now i have three baffles set in place. i have 4 pieces cut. my question is should and where should i put the FOURTH baffle? should it be before the first baffle, or after the third baffle? or no baffle at all?

they are put in as follows and the order is from left to right towards the return pump.

first baffle - down
second baffle - up
third baffle - down

i was going to put it before the first baffle and it would be up. just wondering if the baffle would be better to have it as the last baffle up? if i am over thinking this as well be sure to tell me. i really don't think it matters all too much , but figured i would throw it out there. i was thinking that it would be good before the first baffle and be up so that rising bubbles from the skimmer would rise up and the water with less bubbles would travel through to the next baffle. then i thought it would also be good as the last baffle up so that bubbles would get trapped up over the last baffle down. i don't know , i'm rambling, lol. HELP! , lol

OP
OP
nater

nater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
right on , so to use it as a bubble blocker for the returns? i thought about that as well. i am going to use filter socks. at least to start as i am using all dry rock and such to catch small particles. i guess that does make sense. it would be good to push bubbles coming in to the sump to the surface before the skimmer. thanks for the reply troy.

OP
OP
nater

nater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah haa, sounds good to me :) i think i am also going to fabricate a filter sock holder. i thought about putting the bubble trap for the returns into that , but maybe i'll use the glass instead and use the acrylic for the holder. appreciate it the help.

OP
OP
nater

nater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks troy , i went with the return bubble trap. i may get another piece cut for the fourth baffle. i'v noticed in my sump thats on my 90 that with the baffle being an up first it tends to let the water circulate back into the chamber. as the chamber in my 90 gallon sump is a refugium it acts well for that purpose , so i assume it will only help recirculate the water back into the skimmer.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 61 33.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back