Sump cover material that won't bow?

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I've switched out my pump I get a decent amount of salt spray around where the drain is and I was thinking of adding a cover to that portion of the sump. I'm assuming over time acrylic would bow and not hold up well does anyone have recommendations for a material choice? Polypropylene perhaps? Thanks!

Gloryofthereef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your sump? There are many different thicknesses of plexi that you can buy. In most sumps, there is a thickness of plexi that would work fine as a long term solution. Styrene egg crate might also work as a base that you could glue or zip tie plexi to if it didn't solve the spray issue on its own.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The thicker a piece of plastic is the least likely to bow. A piece of glass will not bow but it will be more difficult to cut out properly. I've seen a sump with foam board insulation as well. That served to prevent heat loss as well.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Polycarbonate (lexan) will absorb moisture as well (this is why it bows). It may work better than plexiglass but it might still bow.

You could try cutting some strips and attaching them to the sheet to act as ribs to hold it in place. I'd put them on the top (dry side) rather than underneath

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starboard or glass. Poly's will eat up moisture and sag.

OP
OP
drawman

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plastic cutting board cut to size, works great.
That was actually the first thing that came to mind but I was hoping for a thinner material I guess.

Interesting I've never worked with it. Something like this?
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?sku=50091&gclid=COTV1-m-iNMCFQi1wAod090FHA

https://www.amazon.com/Polyethylene-Terephthlate-Glycol-Modified-Transparent-Tolerance/dp/B00CPRCAOU

Also is there a thickness that you would recommend? Thanks!

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/8". all plastics can bow, but petg is less likely than acrylic or polycarbonate. downside is that it's not uv protected.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back