Sump for 150 gallon display tank.

Slodoc07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to do a DIY sump for a 150 gallon DT. My question is would a 40 gal breeder tank be large enough for the 150 or would I have to go larger. I know it’s all about whether the sump is capable of holding the volume of water from the DT when the return pump is turned off. Does anyone have experience with this. I’m trying to stay away from having to buy a $500-$700 sump. I appreciate any help. Thank you.

Steve_Skullsplitter0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey ...i am doing the same set up. I have a check valve in my return pipe so in event that pump fails my sump wont backfill.

OP
OP
Slodoc07

Slodoc07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey ...i am doing the same set up. I have a check valve in my return pipe so in event that pump fails my sump wont backfill.

My current 85 has a check valve and I definitely plan on doing the same thing with my new build. My main concern is the residual volume of water from the overflow filling up my sump. Any ideas?

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you hit the nail on the head with holding the transient volume of water. So what does your overflow and return plumbing look like? I personally wouldn't go the check valve route, mechanical devices fail, at the most inopportune time! They are magnets for small shells and other crap too in my experience. Not that they can't work, but if water on the floor ever is not an option, I would look a different direction.

OP
OP
Slodoc07

Slodoc07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a rough estimate of the total volume of water that would accumulate in the sump one the pump is turned off. Just assuming because I don’t know have the tank yet, the water line is 1” above the weir when in full syphon, that would put the total volume of water at around 7 gallons and that is not including the total volume of water that is in the Stan pipe and the piping going down into the sump. So on the safe side I feel the sump needs to hold at least 10 more gallons of water then is does while being operated with the return pump. Does that sound right?

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that sounds about right. Since you dont have the tank it is going to be hard to know for sure but it sounds like a safe guess. Usually I tell people to setup the tank outside or where ever and fill it along with the sump. Once they are full turn the pump on and let it run. Once the water levels out in the sump that is your maximum water height in the sump. Check valves I do not recommend to be honest as they can and will fail at some point flooding your floor. I am not saying not to use them but always make sure the sump can hold the back flow of water as a fail safe

OP
OP
Slodoc07

Slodoc07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that sounds about right. Since you dont have the tank it is going to be hard to know for sure but it sounds like a safe guess. Usually I tell people to setup the tank outside or where ever and fill it along with the sump. Once they are full turn the pump on and let it run. Once the water levels out in the sump that is your maximum water height in the sump. Check valves I do not recommend to be honest as they can and will fail at some point flooding your floor. I am not saying not to use them but always make sure the sump can hold the back flow of water as a fail safe

What size sump are you running on your 150?

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sold my 150 but I ran a 55 under it. Mainly for the height as it was just a huge refugium since my skimmer was external.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a 55 into sump for my 125. Worked fine. What you want to do it make sure you have a large return chamber. Bigger area = more water that chamber can hold. Thats where your sump water level is set. Sump will prob have a lot of water in it all ready in the other chambers. Make sure those other baffles are not real high. The lower you can safely set sump water level the more water volume avail for back flow with pump off. Back flow can also be adjusted via anti siphon holes, drilled in the return pipes, close to the operating water level of the tank. Now if you have some fantastically large return pipe work, that holds a lot of water then all bets are off.

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YOu dont need to set it that low. Says his back flow will be 10 gallons which is an unrealistically high amount but that puts us on the safe side. in either a 55 or a 40 breeder that will only raise the water level by 4 inches across the entire sump

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’m in the same boat. Just bought a used 245 .. I already have 3- 40 gal breeders. I was thinking I’d just drill two of them and connect them with a 2in drain. Make one a refugium and the other a sump. Ordered the Fuji 40 breeder sump kit on eBay. They’ll be in the basement.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 38 27.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 66 48.2%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 13.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back