Sump Sock

Michael Rossi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been running for a few days now. I read that you aren’t supposed to run carbon while a tank cycles, so I’ve had the sock out of the sump and not using it. Should I add it (empty) to reduce the waterfall effect of the water dripping down the empty opening? I also have the heater set up running long ways at the bottom of the sump. The sock will likely touch the bottom of the heater. Is this an issue? TYIA

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been running for a few days now. I read that you aren’t supposed to run carbon while a tank cycles, so I’ve had the sock out of the sump and not using it. Should I add it (empty) to reduce the waterfall effect of the water dripping down the empty opening? I also have the heater set up running long ways at the bottom of the sump. The sock will likely touch the bottom of the heater. Is this an issue? TYIA

Yeah,
I would not want the (hot part of) heater to touch anything that is fabric or plastic.

You can still mechanical filter while cycling, which is what a filter sock is.

Been using the Red Sea 225 micron nylon mesh sock for a long time and really like it.
Just rinse it out with your sink's sprayer and or garden hose and put it right back in. No need to run it in a washing machine and lasts about six months

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. So even an empty sock has benefits? I’ll need to see how I can reposition my heater

I don't run anything (media) in my filter socks, they just catch bigger sized funk coming in from my overflow downpipes.

OP
OP
Michael Rossi

Michael Rossi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again. I think it said to soak the sock first so I have it in some fresh RODI water. There isn’t anywhere I can move the heater so I’ll need to position the bottom of the sock just right and monitor it throughout the day to make sure it doesn’t move and touch it.

OP
OP
Michael Rossi

Michael Rossi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like there is plenty of room. If I do add something like carbon in the future, I’ll need to make sure there is still enough clearance from the heater. Thanks again!

5F87D20F-A4B7-463B-AE6C-E2935C48BA47.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back