Super murky yellow water

Danielsj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys im currently battling a dino outbreak, so im overfeeding a fair bit. My water has gotten super murky over the last couple of days and im not sure if this is due to the Dinos themselves or something else so any input would be much appreciated..
Im running carbon in my filter unit.
My parameters are as follows:
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 10 ppm
Alkalinity = 7.5 dkh
Phosphate = 0
Silicate = 0
Temp = 28 degrees Celsius
Salinity = 1.025
Im dosing 12 ish ml's of Red Sea kh gro everyday right now and my alkalinity is not really rising, it seems weird to me that my tank should be consuming that much aswell. I have also just ordered liquid phosphate to start dosing since i cant get it to rise by feeding alone.
And heres a picture of what the tank looks like right now
IMG_20220915_160638.jpg

razorskiss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manual removal can't hurt either, I'd give it a decent scrub and water change as well and see if it bounces back immediately or is tapering off

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys im currently battling a dino outbreak, so im overfeeding a fair bit. My water has gotten super murky over the last couple of days and im not sure if this is due to the Dinos themselves or something else so any input would be much appreciated..
Im running carbon in my filter unit.
My parameters are as follows:
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 10 ppm
Alkalinity = 7.5 dkh
Phosphate = 0
Silicate = 0
Temp = 28 degrees Celsius
Salinity = 1.025
Im dosing 12 ish ml's of Red Sea kh gro everyday right now and my alkalinity is not really rising, it seems weird to me that my tank should be consuming that much aswell. I have also just ordered liquid phosphate to start dosing since i cant get it to rise by feeding alone.
And heres a picture of what the tank looks like right now
IMG_20220915_160638.jpg
Kh coralline gro by any chance? That’s the source of your problem

OP
OP
Danielsj

Danielsj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kits are you using?

0 phosphates can cause outbreaks, but nitrates are in a decent range, I'd consider dosing to bring phosphates up a little
That is my next plan of action, and im using Red Sea and salifert test kits.

OP
OP
Danielsj

Danielsj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manual removal can't hurt either, I'd give it a decent scrub and water change as well and see if it bounces back immediately or is tapering off
I did clean it manually yesterday and it pretty much comes back in full force the day after.

OP
OP
Danielsj

Danielsj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like an algal bloom, careful not to overfeed and dose too much. Maybe get a UV filter
I have been having Dinos because of 0 nutrients so thats why im overfeeding now, and my nitrates are only up to 10 ppm and still 0 phosphate

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With it coming back that fast its likely bacterial in nature. The bacteria are taking the place of the dinos but exploding. Make sure you have adequate surface agitation because the bacteria will sap the oxygen out of the water. Be mindful of fish hanging near the surface as this is your warning sign. A uv will clear this up in 2 days if you have the ability to get one.

OP
OP
Danielsj

Danielsj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With it coming back that fast its likely bacterial in nature. The bacteria are taking the place of the dinos but exploding. Make sure you have adequate surface agitation because the bacteria will sap the oxygen out of the water. Be mindful of fish hanging near the surface as this is your warning sign. A uv will clear this up in 2 days if you have the ability to get one.
i suppose its good if the bacteria is outcompeting the Dinos now, and i do have a powerhead aimed at the surface so it should be alright. I dont have the option of using a uv sterilizer easily, is there other options? I suppose i could cut back on feeding again and just do small rutine waterchanges until it stabilizes.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green killing machine can be bought at petco and petsmart. They range from 50-100 dollars. Drop em in, plug in and let it go. Also will help with dinos. I used the 25w on my 60 gallon when I had dinos and it helped immensely, especially with reduced lighting.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i suppose its good if the bacteria is outcompeting the Dinos now, and i do have a powerhead aimed at the surface so it should be alright. I dont have the option of using a uv sterilizer easily, is there other options? I suppose i could cut back on feeding again and just do small rutine waterchanges until it stabilizes.
Routine water changes arent always the best move with dinos. Do you know what strain of dinos you have?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Becareful using KH gro for alk alone as it will raise the potassium too (which most people don't test for)

razorskiss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess was diatoms too. The tank looks fairly new? If so I wouldn't worry too much about it, get your phosphates in range, keep up with manual cleaning and water changes periodically and it'll go away on its own in a week or two. You could always add some copepods to that tank, they won't clear it up any faster unless you add absolute tons (don't recommend doing this) but they'll help in the long term to keep nuisance algae levels lower

OP
OP
Danielsj

Danielsj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Routine water changes arent always the best move with dinos. Do you know what strain of dinos you have?
I do not no, i would also only start with the water changes when the Dinos had been outcompeted by other bacteria

OP
OP
Danielsj

Danielsj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sure its dinos and not diatoms?
I thought it was diatoms at first so i starved the tank of nutrients, then it got worse and thats when i realized it was dinos, because i also noticed the characteristic floating bubbles

OP
OP
Danielsj

Danielsj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess was diatoms too. The tank looks fairly new? If so I wouldn't worry too much about it, get your phosphates in range, keep up with manual cleaning and water changes periodically and it'll go away on its own in a week or two. You could always add some copepods to that tank, they won't clear it up any faster unless you add absolute tons (don't recommend doing this) but they'll help in the long term to keep nuisance algae levels lower
Its been running for 3-4 months, and the problem has been persisting for about two weeks now

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back