"Sure thing" corals

betareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me neither. My bicolor angel makes sure of it!!

Perhaps worthwhile for us to note which of the sure-thing corals are not appetising for centropyges and other semi-reef-safe fish.

Do they eat leathers, for example?

kingranch2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No love for pipe organ? It’s pretty funny reading these it’s exactly how I started as many reefers do - GSP, Kenya tree and Xenia. Quickly realized these take over fast and ended up removing them in favor of more challenging coral. Still have some of my original pieces of GSP, pipe organ and trumpets though.
You had a pretty good experience with trumpets? I was thinking about adding them. I'm a beginner.

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You had a pretty good experience with trumpets? I was thinking about adding them. I'm a beginner.
That was one of the first corals I bought when I got back into the hobby little over a year ago. It’s been in 3 tanks since and is still kicking butt. Here it is when I first got it almost exactly one year ago.
IMG_2469.jpeg

Here it is now.
IMG_2068.jpeg

kingranch2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was one of the first corals I bought when I got back into the hobby little over a year ago. It’s been in 3 tanks since and is still kicking butt. Here it is when I first got it almost exactly one year ago.
IMG_2469.jpeg

Here it is now.
IMG_2068.jpeg

IMG_2469.jpeg

Here it is now.
IMG_2068.jpeg
You cannot say enough about that pop of color. This looks like the type of coral that would encourage a new reefer, getting to see such growth and color. I like that you have two colors next to each other. Do they show much aggression?

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You cannot say enough about that pop of color. This looks like the type of coral that would encourage a new reefer, getting to see such growth and color. I like that you have two colors next to each other. Do they show much aggression?
So far no, they are different species so technically they could sting each other but so far I haven’t seen any aggression. The green is sold as “nuclear green candy cane” and the other is sold as “beetlejuice trumpet”, the green one is in the Caulastraea family while the beetlejuice is in the Astraeosmilia family, which has larger polyps.

Last edited:

kingranch2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far no, they are different species so technically they could sting each other but so far I haven’t seen any aggression. The green is sold as “nuclear green candy cane” and the other is sold as “beetlejuice trumpet”, the green one is in the Caulastraea family while the beetlejuice is in the Astraeosmilia family, which has larger polyps.
I appreciate the response. You definitely taught me something. I didn't realize these were in separate families. I appreciate your help. This will be one of my first corals.

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 133 42.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back