Switching from IO to reef Crystal's. Any problems?

Legal Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Reef Crystal's and like it so far, it mixes great too. I accidentally ordered the regular instant ocean salt. Is it safe to switch over without causing any problems? I have around 50 gallons water volume and only do water a change of around 6 gallons monthly. Tank temp 79 to 80°, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, phosphates 0, ph 8.3. Alkalinity is a little low 7.5 so I was going to dose a little baking soda slowly to a high flow area. Calcium and magnesium test very high. I was going to return the IO and pick up reef crystals but was wondering if I should just try the IO since my calcium and magnesium is so high using Reed crystals. Calcium is 550 magnesium is off the chart. Going to double check the magnesium test but my calcium usually tests high. Would a low alkalinity affect those tests? Appreciate any helpful information from you experienced guys that are always so helpful.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you switching from reef crystals to instant ocean or from instant ocean to reef crystals?

Generally, reef crystals has a much higher alk value while instant ocean is closer to natural saltwater levels.

OP
OP
Legal Reefer

Legal Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you switching from reef crystals to instant ocean or from instant ocean to reef crystals?

Generally, reef crystals has a much higher alk value while instant ocean is closer to natural saltwater levels.
Reef crystals to IO

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's not true. Normal IO has high alk, near 11 dKH. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef crystals to IO

I don't think there will be any concerns. I did the same in the opposite direction, normal IO and ordered RC by mistake.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's interesting... I've never gotten above 9 dkh... lol. I ran an alk test yesterday on a new batch of IO and I was at 8.2 dkh. Time to go test test test...or recalibrate.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing salinity levels make a difference. I'm slightly lower on salinity than what is on the product guide, which is 1.026. Roughly between 1.024 and 1.025.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it would be a good thing for me to use the regular IO since my alkalinity is a little too low anyway.

Reef Crystals is also high, maybe a tad higher. :)

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yep, I tell this to people all the time. I had a low test the first time I used IO, around 8.5'ish and assumed that was it's average. Test was a fluke or some precipitation took place, maybe it wasn't mixed well enough... couldn't say for sure, but I'm with you, it's typically fairly high.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back