Switching out hob filters. How long does seeding take?

jaythenoob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically I have an quite flow filter on my 36 gallon bowfront. I hate the little filter pads they make you buy.

i threw in an aqua clear 70 with the sponge and a bag of seeded seachem matrix I had in the quote flow.

How long till I can take the quiteflow filter out and Just rely on the aqua clear 70? (Tank is also newly cycled, been maybe 2weeks isH)I was also thinking about just sitting the filter pad from the quite flow on on the surface of the AQ70 and removing it but I believe that it will remove some bacteria.
Any advice for a noob?

This is a fowler tank if that matters

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just take the filter bag out, and put it in the tank somewhere for a month. Then remove it. If the tank’s only two weeks old, there shouldn’t be fish in the tank, so I see no dangers of you replacing the filter at this point.

OP
OP
J

jaythenoob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just take the filter bag out, and put it in the tank somewhere for a month. Then remove it. If the tank’s only two weeks old, there shouldn’t be fish in the tank, so I see no dangers of you replacing the filter at this point.
No I meant the tank is cycled 100% and it’s been two weeks since the cycle was completed, sorry about that it has two clowns and a cleaner shrimp in it with everything still ready 0 ammonia, nitrite, nitrate

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have any fish in the tank yet, then I wouldn't worry too much.
You can take out whatever filter media was in the old filter and just add it to your new fikter. The bacteria will migrate onto the new media over a couple weeks then just remove the old media if you want.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I meant the tank is cycled 100% and it’s been two weeks since the cycle was completed, sorry about that it has two clowns and a cleaner shrimp in it with everything still ready 0 ammonia, nitrite, nitrate
Cut out the filter pad and place it in the aqua clear. In a short time the matrix will be colonized

Back