T-5 bulbs, PAR rating, what bulbs to use, etc....

Phyber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hay I was wondering if anybody uses the True Actinic by ATI. Also is it a deeper blue than the blue plus? I was thinking this for my 6 bulb 36 inch

1.True Actinic
2.Blue +
3.Blue +
4. 12000 K aquablue special
5.Blue +
6.True Actinic

As you can see I want a blue light dominated tank. Open to any suggestions!

Thanks~ SC reefer

I keep an LPS tank with a Tek 6 bulb unit with the following:
Front
Ati blue+
Ati aqua blue special
Ati true actinic
Ati purple plus
Ati aqua blue special
Ati blue+

My corals are growing, but slowly, tank is slightly blue, when I change bulbs I want a blue-er setup. True actinic is almost invisible to my naked eye, just see the fluorescence

jmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 8 bulb t5 sun blaze fixture and i run 6 superblues 1 new generation and a fiji purple! amazing bulbs!!german made best bulb money can buy in my opinion!

dankreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about going to the 8x80w. If I wanted to go maximum growth while still throwing in a blue/purple look what would my color combo look like? Also how will these bulbs do for SPS tank next to other setups is this the right choice, or I suppose im saying should I go another route instead of t5. 180g tank 60' length 24 deep.

thadscottmoore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running ATI dimmable 6 Bulb
Current Combo-
ATI B+
ATI Coral Plus
Korallen-Zucht Coral Light Super Blue
ATI FIJI Purple
Korallen-Zucht Coral Light II New Generation
ATI B+

All I can say- I love it!

Previous Combo
ATI Blue +
ATI FIJI Purple
ATI Blue +
ATI Coral Plus
ATI AquaBlue Special
ATI Blue +

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just in the first nine pages I got enough info to figure out what I'd probably go with.

1 ATI Blue Plus
1 KZ Fiji Purple
1 ATI Blue Plus
1 Aqua Blue Special

How does this combo do with any oranges/yellows?

Thanks for the great help already! :D

Loosechange

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished setting up a new frag system. It's 48 x 30 x 12. I bought a ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 bulb T5. Planning on growing out mostly chalices, acros and some Lepto's. Looking for some suggestions on bulb types and configurations. Thanks.

GregAW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By chance do you have photos showing the difference? I'm trying to get a good idea as to what to replace my T% tubes with. I have a 100 gallon reef tank, or will have again and I need to replace all the tubes.

ReeferBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you guys dont recommend any day bulbs for LPS? I am trying to figure out what would grow my LPS nano tank with best growth and coloration, but with the combos you all have, I dont see any day bulbs. Any suggestions for a 24 aquapod with 4 bulbs?
Thanks

jeremy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try 3 blue plus and a purple plus. Thats what i have on my 20 gal. Zoas and acans.

Fishface1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 ATI's on my 29 gallon, they are replacements for the AquaticLife stock bulbs. They made a serious difference in how the tank looks and the corals look very happy now.

2 AquaticLife 30" fixtures combined into one:
1 ATI Blue Plus
1 ATI Purple Plus
1 ATI Blue Plus
1 ATI Aquablue Special

I noticed some of the links at the beginning of the thread are broke, here is where I found some of the info I used to make my choices:
Reef Aquarium Lighting - Lamps and lamp combinations

ReeferBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do any of you even use day light bulbs for these LPS tanks, or do you go all blue/purple?

Fishface1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do any of you even use day light bulbs for these LPS tanks, or do you go all blue/purple?

The ATI Aquablue Special is a daylight bulb, my other 3 are blue.

"Aquablue SpecialCombines the properties of a full-spectrum bulb with an elevated blue color peak producing a bulb with an approximate color temperature of 15,000K. Recommended as a stand-alone bulb or in combination with Blue Plus, Purple Plus, True Actinic, or other supplemental T5 bulbs."

ATI bulbs T5 High Output Fixture. Saltwater and Freshwater Aquarium lighting from ATI North America.

Reef-roach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just setup a reef in August. Always done halides with great results in the past but my current setup has a tight short canopy. Seen mixed results with the limited number of led setups I've seen in person. Decided on t5s and lurked the forums for months researching before purchasing. Decided on miro let 8x80 retro to fit inside my canopy as I've heard the reflectors are a close second to Ati. I've been totally happy with it. Last week, however, I noticed a sporadic loud metallic click one to six times every night within five minutes of the lights turning off. Sounds like if you spin the reflector around the bulb. It seems unlikely it's been happening every night for five months without noticing until now. The ballasts are remote so I have ruled them out. I can't pinpoint the source of the sound but it seems as though it's coming from the bulbs or the reflector. Anyone have insight or trouble shooting suggestions? Is it possible the bulbs cool and contract when shut off and creates the reflector noise? Any ideas are appreciated!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back