T5 Bulb Replacement suggestion for AquaticLife T5 Fixture supplementting my Kessil A360X lights

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

As noted in the subject, I have a 90gl setup using (2) Kessil A360X lights along with an AquaticLife T5 - 4 bulb - 80W configuration. I currently use (3) ATI Blue Plus Bulbs and (1) ATI Purple Plus bulb. I have increased the UV/Purple light output in my Kessils.

I noticed the ATI Actinic 03 Bulbs are more at the 420NM Spectrum and seem to have a higher intensity output that the ATI Blue Plus Bulb.

The ATI Blue Plus bulbs seem to peak in the 440-450bm spectrum. The intensity seems to be a little lower also compared to the Actinic 03.

I researched all this data on the BRS site when comparing bulbs.

So my question is, which bulb is a better option to supplement my Kessil A360X bulbs?

I was curious what others are using with this setup, specific to the T5 bulbs.
Thanks!

Last edited:

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I was running a similar T5/LED set. I used 2 blue+, 1 actinic, 1 purple. If I wanted more whites I switched the purple to a Coral +. The Actinic color is really hard to see by eye. It does help the colors pop. Hope this helps.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you feel like you are missing some actinic and some fluorescence, you can try an Actinic bulb.

I don't like ATI's actinic bulb. It is really dim, like you have to squint to tell that the bulb is on. As far as "intensity", I think you've got it backwards. The B+ bulb is the reason everyone uses, and for good reason.

The Coral + bulb is also a great bulb. It is whiter, but not exactly a daylight bulb.

The Purple + pairs well with the B+. The purple balances out the 'green' tint of the B+ bulbs.

If I were running a hybrid (I'm T5 only), I would do 3 B+ and 1 C+, then tinker with the Kessils for spectrum.

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So initial feedback seems to say sticker with my current config of using 3 of the Blue Plus bulbs and 1 Purple Plus. I dont want to add any white as the Kessil's have that covered, if I want it.

Also, is 18 months or so still the EOL for these bulbs, or has that thought process changed?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
18 months should be a decent 'rule of thumb.'

Also, I usually mention, buy an extra actinic if you want. 25 bucks. Not a huge deal if you don't like it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back