T5 Photosynthetically Usable Rdiation and Spectral Qualities

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent a few hours in the lab today and looked at qualities of two T5 lamps. The first is a Ultra Violet Industries 'Super Actinic' 39w VHO T5 lamp. The second is an odd pinkish lamp I have in inventory - the only marking I can read is 75/25 (though I suspect it is a UVI lamp as well.) An Ocean Optics spectrometer measured spectrum and a Seneye 'Reef' device estimated Photosynthetically Usable Radiation (PUR).
upload_2019-2-16_17-12-35.png

PUR for this actinic lamp is 82%. Spikes at ~547nm and ~578nm are due to the element mercury's line spectra.
upload_2019-2-16_17-17-21.png

This lamp appears pink and has an odd spectral quality although its PUR rating is 71%. As can be seen most output is above 700nm. Not a bad thing as these wavelengths can enhance the rate of photosynthesis. I have a few dozen T5 lamps in stock and will test as time permits.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe. I just unpacked those lamps today. I'll see and test next if I have it. Suspect PUR will be relatively low.

I'm guess[ing] that is what you tested already, though there certainly doesnt seem to be any actinic in there LOL (or the Seneye didnt see it).

savoyard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to seeing more of these tests. I bought a few of the UVI bulbs in the Foster sale (around $5), but have no way of testing them.

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I as well. I bought a ATI 60" fixture to light up my new 125g mixed reef, so I'm looking into different bulb specs and reviews.
Thank you Dana !

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the oddest spectrum I've ever seen.
upload_2019-2-16_17-17-21-png.980384

some custom or test bulb?
Even too low for "red light therapy"..
Infrared light releases nitrous oxide in the blood stream, increasing blood circulation in the area where the light is directed (i.e. the wound). Red light, at a wavelength of 600nm to 700nm, releases cytokines, which stimulate fibroblast proliferation and the production of growth factors for improved healing and wound repair.
and too high for a heat lamp..

UV Lighting International has a series labelled 75.25 but it certainly wouldn't look like that..
http://www.uvlco.com/UVLI_catalog.pdf

75.25™ AQUARIUM LIGHTING
• 75% Actinic 03 & 25% Tri-Band Phosphor
• Best Used for Saltwater Tanks with Live Coral Applications
• Adds vital Life Supporting Properties
• Color temperature 14,000°K 460NM
• Useful Life 4500 hrs.

OK, think I found its original use..(LED below). Not sure that is really a "thing' though.. ;)
infrared-mini-wavelengths-510x430.jpg

https://redlightman.com/product/infrared-light-device-mini/

Last edited:

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yep. UVL 75/25 bulb. It was a fantastic bulb back in the day. Sadly, yours looks to be defective or something has happened to the Actinic phosphors over the years. That's got to be an old bulb since UVL stopped selling bulbs years ago. I'd have to say it's been well over 5 years. I can't quite remember.

I once ran a setup that was 4 of the UVL 454, 1 Actinic White and 1 75/25. One of the best looking T5 combos I've ever seen and ran.

savoyard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. UVL 75/25 bulb. It was a fantastic bulb back in the day. Sadly, yours looks to be defective or something has happened to the Actinic phosphors over the years. That's got to be an old bulb since UVL stopped selling bulbs years ago. I'd have to say it's been well over 5 years. I can't quite remember.

I once ran a setup that was 4 of the UVL 454, 1 Actinic White and 1 75/25. One of the best looking T5 combos I've ever seen and ran.
I bought the Actinic White, 454, and Aqua Sun from Dr. Fosters Mar. 2018 for $9. Visually they look like the one's I ran in 2009. Do bulbs have a shelf life?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75/25 was one of their older bulbs - long gone. It was a bit pink, but also had some blue, so I also think that this one might be defective - subjectively, I might put it in a 8-10k range for looks and just a bit more yellow/red than their actinic white (which also is a great bulb). It was more a freshwater bulb, but people found that it popped some red, blue and green corals very nicely.

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll check the wattage drawn by this 75/25 lamp. I don't think it is a problem with the phosphors since these tend to be metallic in nature (barium, magnesium, aluminate, europium.)

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be honest with you Dana, and others. I don't understand all the specs of the T5's that you're speaking. With that said, here's my history.
My wife and I started reefing in the 90's and even though most people were using halides, we went with four VHO's with different spectrum's, then later all four of 50\50's. Although we only had five SPS corals, we had great results with LPS and leathers. It was a in-wall 75g mixed reef. Scott Michael's visited us and took photo's of our tank and the fish room backing it up. They were in Aquarium Magazine. I made a 6' tall by 6" diamature PVC counter-current skimmer with a clear 10" reaction chamber and a 12" x 10" collection cup. I used bass-wood air diffuser's I made from 2x10's to be cut down to 2"x 10" in length and width which I'd change it out once per month. I had a large piston air pump (very cool pump) in the garage to supply mass's amounts of air. It put out amazing amounts of crap, I believe more than today's short chambered under cabinet skimmers .

I bought a universal Ice Cap VHO lighting kit with a dimmer, then made a aluminum hood to house it in. I built a pulley system to attach the hood to, making raising it for new corals and to work in the tank since I had no front access. I made my own kalkwasser and calcium chloride to supply the coral and algae. I made a shelf above the tank for my homemade two gallon jug with a hospital IV drip system's for all the additives. Two of our pride corals was a Pagoda Coral that was 4" wide but grew out to 16" and the Elegance that was about the same. With the skimmer working so well, we had 11 fish.

We got out of the hobby to build, race and show a 1966 Ford 427 Shelby Cobra rep. that I built. But, we're back into reefing !
It's been two years now, and finding out just how much has changed ! Especially with regards to lighting, as with LED.
We bought four ''popular'' systems for different tanks, and we are very,...disappointed with them ! We do like the ramp up & down and the moon light, but that's it. I realize we are old school, but the disco ball effect and not showing the true colors of corals and fish. We did not buy into the outrageous price of the most used lighting out there, but never will. That company does have the best light and the best amenities for LED lighting, but the cost is a huge downfall. We also know that with the cost of replacing the T5' tubes every year will catch up with the cost of the LED, but the price is too much at one time, so maybe someday. I think if someone set up two tanks side by side, one having T5 and the other LED, set to proper spectrums, that the colors of the T5 will win.

So, to my point,....lol

The hood we bought (my first post above) is used but in new condition. He went back to halide's. He opted for the LED pucks and the dimming system. I don't recall which spectrum the tubes are, so we want to keep them as spares and buy six new.

What brand and spectrum tubes should work best,....for a mixed reef ?

More LPS, leathers etc. vs SPS, for now anyway.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%

Back