T5s for LPS & Softies — White’s Needed?

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to trade my SPS corals for LPS and softies while I continue to live in an apartment. I’ll get back to the SPS when I have a house within the next few years. Until then, I’m going to stick with corals that provide more movement and colorations, which my wife prefers. So, I’d love your help with my decision of what bulbs to use.

When I had SPS in my 40gal breeder, I filled my six-bulb ATI SunPower with three Blue Plus and three Coral Plus bulbs. Unfortunately, that doesn’t appeal to my wife as she prefers more fluorescence that blues provide. So, I added a Reef Brite XHO, and it’s definitely better. I plan to add a second next month, keeping an eye on PAR, of course.

Do LPS corals need the whites that seem to benefit SPS? I have three ATI actinic bulbs that I considered mixing with three Blue Plus bulbs and the XHOs. Sure, it’ll look like Windex, but I’m okay with it because my wife will enjoy it.

Would three Blue Plus and three actinic T5 bulbs, along with two Reef Brite XHOs, be sufficient for LPS corals since they tend to come from deeper waters?

Thank you!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its going to be hard to take a shot of the tank when its always blue ;-)

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that, though not at the level SPS, LPS does need some whites. I would suggest maybe 3 Blue+, Coral+, Purple+, and 1 actinic.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its going to be hard to take a shot of the tank when its always blue ;-)
Oh, I agree. I’ll have to use my lens filter every time. It’s a small price to pay for having a wife that enjoys it, though. :)

I found that, though not at the level SPS, LPS does need some whites. I would suggest maybe 3 Blue+, Coral+, Purple+, and 1 actinic.
I’ll place an order for a Purple Plus bulb. I’ve never seen them in person, so I’m curious about how purple everything will look because the ATI actinics are quite purple themselves.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I agree. I’ll have to use my lens filter every time. It’s a small price to pay for having a wife that enjoys it, though. :)

I’ll place an order for a Purple Plus bulb. I’ve never seen them in person, so I’m curious about how purple everything will look because the ATI actinics are quite purple themselves.
I can't tell how they will look with actinics, I purchased 2 actinics and never used them. I currently have a hybrid with 2 Blue+, 1 Coral+, and 1 Purple+. That setup is quite white to my eyes even with LED's set to AB+.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lps will use some yellow and red light. You don’t need a ton. I’d personally do 4 blue+, 1 true actinic, 1 purple+ along with the blue led supplements.

It won’t look white at all. Will be all the red needed and everything will look as it sounds like you want it to

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're adding a second XHO Reefbrite then that is going to give you a bunch of nice blue pop. And your 6 bulb is probable 2 channels no? Maybe start reefbrites in the morning with a blue plus or actinics or purple plus added in. And then for a few hours during the day when you guys are at work or out of the house, the second bank will come on with a couple coral plus bulbs for a few hours. Then run all your blues or actinics and reefbrites the rest of the afternoon and evening.
With 2 reefbrites and 6 bulbs you have a lot of combo options and can do a lot.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're adding a second XHO Reefbrite then that is going to give you a bunch of nice blue pop. And your 6 bulb is probable 2 channels no? Maybe start reefbrites in the morning with a blue plus or actinics or purple plus added in. And then for a few hours during the day when you guys are at work or out of the house, the second bank will come on with a couple coral plus bulbs for a few hours. Then run all your blues or actinics and reefbrites the rest of the afternoon and evening.
With 2 reefbrites and 6 bulbs you have a lot of combo options and can do a lot.
I like that idea, but I’ll need to get a second EB832 because I have all outlets occupied on my current one. I have both channels and fans controlled by a single outlet via a three-way splitter.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mostly LPS and prefer a whiter look to my lights.

I run 2 blue+, 2 coral+, 1 purple+(mostly blue, but has that whiter look), 1 actinic, and 2 reefbrite XHO's.

I would see no problem with 3 blue+, 2 actinic, and 1 purple+. It will be mostly blue, but have some white. You do know you can change up the bulb placement to whats more appealing to our eyes? For instance since I prefer a whiter look, I run my coral+ in the front of the fixture. If I changed that up and put the coral+ in the back, I would have a much bluer looking tank.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 155 73.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.7%
Back