T5'S TILL THEY DIE, ANYONE???????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much of a drop off (percentage wise) and where is your data coming from?

I’ll check my notes but it was a lot. That’s me measuring PAR with my Apogee right below the bulbs every few months to judge replacement schedule.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I’ll check my notes but it was a lot. That’s me measuring PAR with my Apogee right below the bulbs every few months to judge replacement schedule.

I believe BRS was stating something around 20% after 18 months but I would have to re-watch the video.

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get pretty **** colors on t5 But also I’m Still running the same bulbs I started with 5 years ago idk. Im in the process of trying to figure out if it’s just that T5 give bad colors or if something else is wrong. Any suggestions on where to look? Every coral is shifting green if it can.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I packed in think it was early 2000 t5 were the light to go for at that time great lights . Now Iam back in the hobby led is all new to me I think the t5 are very good

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get pretty **** colors on t5 But also I’m Still running the same bulbs I started with 5 years ago idk. Im in the process of trying to figure out if it’s just that T5 give bad colors or if something else is wrong. Any suggestions on where to look? Every coral is shifting green if it can.
The bulbs shift spectrum over time that’s why people change them regularly… you’ll get algae growth and wonky spectrums etc..

tigre44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change them when they burn out. My corals and clam are doing great growing like weeds. I use mh and t5

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After speaking with "Chimek" owner of Pacific Sun, many years ago, bulb life is dependant on cooling of bulbs. This is why their units have excellent cooling, not even warm after hours of use, due to larger cooling fans. I purposefully run multiple fans pushing air into the ATI unit, but also a fan blowing on the unit as well. This according to him extends the life beyond a year.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
After speaking with "Chimek" owner of Pacific Sun, many years ago, bulb life is dependant on cooling of bulbs. This is why their units have excellent cooling, not even warm after hours of use, due to larger cooling fans. I purposefully run multiple fans pushing air into the ATI unit, but also a fan blowing on the unit as well. This according to him extends the life beyond a year.
I agree. The problem with my ati fixtures is that the fans just don’t last. There’s another thread I started about that somewhere on here. Someone suggested, and located some way better fans and I’ve been using those for a while they are more moisture resistant for sure.

But, what has really helped keep my bulbs cool is that I finally said “screw it” and took the acrylic cover off.

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. The problem with my ati fixtures is that the fans just don’t last. There’s another thread I started about that somewhere on here. Someone suggested, and located some way better fans and I’ve been using those for a while they are more moisture resistant for sure.

But, what has really helped keep my bulbs cool is that I finally said “screw it” and took the acrylic cover off.

Yeah, I actually have a fan blowing air into the fixture, instead of pulling in, the opposite of the design. This keeps the bulbs cool. I also have another fan blowing over the reef which cools the fixture as well

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

After reading this I took mine off. It never has salt or water mist on it

100gallonreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think I’ll give that a try. For whatever reason I always thought I had to because it was designed that way

Last edited:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1033.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back