Tang died after 2nd day ich treatment

stellabl3u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys so it is winter in America as most you know, I’ve been having some heat issues since adding my sump. Nothing too dramatic but what was sitting at 77-78 is now 79-80 degrees. My partner keep the thermostat in the house around 80 usually and complains if it ever goes below 75 I’m curious if the water fluctuation is what started the ich? But more importantly I’m curious what happened after the treatment started.. all my fish and inverts are from the same lfs so I’ve always kept my parameters same as theirs. This tang was at the pet shop for a week or so before I got it, and seemed fine, no white spots and very active. Took her home, decided not to qt being all the fish have been from the same source. Well I believe I made a mistake there.. about ten days later I notice the tang flashing and scratching, then one day I notice the cleaner shrimp cleaning on him, that night I overlooked him really good under the blue lights, and sure enough white spots. But he hasn’t been acting lethargic or anything, he was super active and eating eating well. So next morning I went to the lfs and the guy recommended ich-x. He said it wouldn’t hurt my inverts or corals and that I could do it directly in the dt. Well after looking online and reading the directions when I got home I realized it’s not compatible with prime which I’ve been using since day 1.. I had some top fin water conditioner laying around so decided to set up a qt with fresh saltwater and old bio media from dt removed the carbon dosed the tank as according to the directions and added the fish. Well first day wasn’t too bad, tang definitely wasn’t happy about it but he was swimming around. Then came my second dosing. Did a 1/3 wc and redosed. A couple hours later I checked on him and he was super upset not moving, not eating, and turning a little brown. Well this morning I checked on him and did another wc and dose. He was breathing really heavy and hiding in the back of the tank. I come home later and he’s dead in the corner..! I have two clowns in there as well and they seem completely fine. Mimic Tang.. Sg1.025 ph8.3 nitrite 10, nitrite 2.... do you think it could be that the transfer from my display to a small tank stressed him out or was it the medication? I’m rather stumped and really bummed out, but ultimately concerned as to what I did wrong or what I should’ve done right. I also have a fire fin that’s only 1.5” right now but she seems super healthy and happy but I think I might’ve noticed her getting cleaned by the shrimp, I’ll have to check her when the white lights go off. any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey welcome to the club! Sorry to hear about the fish, that always sucks.

I wouldn't blame the medication (but I wouldn't expect a med like that to help either) as much as moving the fish from tank to tank and having ammonia and nitrite present in your water. I would let the tank cycle longer before adding more fish.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening,

Sorry to hear about your loss. I cannot tell you about the medicine mixture. Hopefully someone else may have some experience with the 2 products combined and some guidance with you remaining fish.

Keep us posted.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ick X, Ick Away, Ick-B-Gon does not work.
There are only three documented ways to remove this parasite, TTM, Hypo or Copper.

Only fallow 70ish days cleans the DT.

Anything else is just slower death IMM.

Back