Tang HLLE Carbon related?

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing some research on tang HLLE that one of the theory was that it caused by the dust from carbon. It does say that premium carbon like Rox .08 being very dense and solid will less likely create a problem but the Kolar labs carbon I received looks not as dense and solid.

Does anyone used or using the Kolar labs carbon and keeping tangs ok?

IMG_0680.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing some research on tang HLLE that one of the theory was that it caused by the dust from carbon. It does say that premium carbon like Rox .08 being very dense and solid will less likely create a problem but the Kolar labs carbon I received looks not as dense and solid.

IMG_0680.jpeg
Can you show a picture of the actual product? These companies don’t make the carbon, they just repackage it, so a lot of them are the same. You want to avoid dusty lignite carbon, well rinsed pelleted carbon is better.

If you haven’t seen it, I wrote up a synopsis of my study here:

Jay

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you show a picture of the actual product? These companies don’t make the carbon, they just repackage it, so a lot of them are the same. You want to avoid dusty lignite carbon, well rinsed pelleted carbon is better.

If you haven’t seen it, I wrote up a synopsis of my study here:

Jay
Jay, please see attached picture. It’s Kolar Labs brand

Attachments

• IMG_0707.jpeg
    IMG_0707.jpeg
    186.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0708.jpeg
    IMG_0708.jpeg
    219.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0709.jpeg
    IMG_0709.jpeg
    100.4 KB · Views: 31

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay, please see attached picture. It’s Kolar Labs brand
That does look like lignite carbon to me. Personally, I stopped using all lignite products decades ago. You can mitigate the issues with it to some degree by never using it in a reactor (that grinds it up) rinse it really well, use as small of amount as possible, and run your skimmer really wet.
As a side note, previous carbon use leaves a residue in tanks, so just stopping carbon may not solve the problem.

Jay

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does look like lignite carbon to me. Personally, I stopped using all lignite products decades ago. You can mitigate the issues with it to some degree by never using it in a reactor (that grinds it up) rinse it really well, use as small of amount as possible, and run your skimmer really wet.
As a side note, previous carbon use leaves a residue in tanks, so just stopping carbon may not solve the problem.

Jay
I had being using Rox and only used these once in a very small amount. I always run skimmers wet. Thx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_0680.jpeg
I do not run carbon in my tank with my tangs since Ive seen some research suggesting it does cause this. I also have a severe HLLE rescue that I dont want getting worse, so out of paranoia I avoid carbon in my tang’s tank. I run it in my other tanks though

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't buy into the dust from carbon HLLE theory. My emperor angel had HLLE and I cured it pretty quickly by feeding him nory 2x a day (he eats a large piece right out of my hand). After about 3 weeks the hole healed with a scar but he was otherwise fine. My mistake was not feeding this mostly herbivore enough veggies and when i corrected this, he healed up pretty quickly.
DSC_1448.jpeg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't buy into the dust from carbon HLLE theory.

Lots of different things cause the seemingly same symptom in many organisms, including man. You'd be hard pressed to distinguish a sunburn from a chemical burn from a thermal burn a few days after the exposure. Red irritated skin, etc.

HLLE may be similar.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't buy into the dust from carbon HLLE theory. My emperor angel had HLLE and I cured it pretty quickly by feeding him nory 2x a day (he eats a large piece right out of my hand). After about 3 weeks the hole healed with a scar but he was otherwise fine. My mistake was not feeding this mostly herbivore enough veggies and when i corrected this, he healed up pretty quickly.
DSC_1448.jpeg
There are two published studies that show that lignite carbon causes HLLE, mine and one done by Dr. Stamper at Disney.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are two published studies that show that lignite carbon causes HLLE, mine and one done by Dr. Stamper at Disney.
Not that I don’t believe in the studies but I had always use Rox mixed with gfo in a panty hose. I wrote the amount on the container I think it’s about 10 tsp Rox and about 8 tsp gfo. My yellow, hippo purple ans sailfin all got mild HLLE. I do feed nori but sometimes I skipped a day but overall mostly daily. I do have ground probes installed. So……

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I don’t believe in the studies but I had always use Rox mixed with gfo in a panty hose. I wrote the amount on the container I think it’s about 10 tsp Rox and about 8 tsp gfo. My yellow, hippo purple ans sailfin all got mild HLLE. I do feed nori but sometimes I skipped a day but overall mostly daily. I do have ground probes installed. So……

ROX .8 carbon does not cause the classic HLLE that lignite carbon does. In my study, fish exposed to pelleted carbon did not develop any grossly visible lesions, just some that were visible through histopathology.

Grounding a tank or not has no change in the development of HLLE, that is an old idea that just won't die (grin).

Jay

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ROX .8 carbon does not cause the classic HLLE that lignite carbon does. In my study, fish exposed to pelleted carbon did not develop any grossly visible lesions, just some that were visible through histopathology.

Grounding a tank or not has no change in the development of HLLE, that is an old idea that just won't die (grin).

Jay
Then I wonder why some of my tangs got minor HLLE

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back