Tank #2. 24x24x14 on the cheap.

Salty_Box_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased a 14g biocube with the intent to have a couple clowns and a couple corals... I just graduated and haven't started into my intended field, so money is tight, I managed to seek out really good deals, and even had some very generous members donate things to add some life to my tank, which free is always appreciated. Got my clowns, two ocellaris(I think, but really have no idea), a yellow clown goby, emerald crab, hermits, snails and a few corals. Upgraded lights, flow etc...Then I decided I want something bigger. Picked up a 24x24x14 frag tank that was drilled in the bottom a bit off center. It was free when I purchased a massive bucket of salt off craigslist. Capped off the bulkhead and plan to cover it with LR. 24x24 is common for bathroom cabinets, so I'll be using one that's unfinished for my stand eventually. Until then it's sitting on a table I had laying around the ranch. - For filtration I'll be running a ac70 with intank mediabasket running chemipure, and purigen, and going to rock the little aqualife 115 skimmer which should be fine with three juvenile fish for now. -Flow will be from a jebao wp25. This thing moves a serious amount of water but should work fine on low. -35lbs of sand so far, and about 29 gallons of water fit after the sand. I have about 10lbs of sand I'll transfer over from the biocube. So roughly a 2-2 1/2" sandbed. -ordered a cerameco pico gratto, and a cerameco small arch, as well as I'll be transferring over my LR from my biocube. The plan is to get it up and running with a overkill of a filtration system, because I have a 61x18x24 115g that I will eventually be moving the sump and such to and making this tank a colorful frogfish sanctuary.

OP
OP
Salty_Box_Reef

Salty_Box_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got everything swapped over tonight... Decent pita, I can't imagine transferring large tanks. The clowns seemed to have buddied up a fair amount more than usual and are exploring the tank side by side, which is rare that they swim together. They also seem to really dig the wavemaker.

spacetime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great, wish i got that tank for free. Those are the dimensions where I plan on going after I upgrade my 15g.

OP
OP
Salty_Box_Reef

Salty_Box_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I can't wait to start seeing some growth on these cerameco rocks. The pinkish color is pretty pronounced when they are new.

OP
OP
Salty_Box_Reef

Salty_Box_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I fell victim to instant gratification once again. I ended up purchasing a small potters angel. I know he's going to outgrow the tank eventually but I have my 115 that he will be going in by then. I couldn't resist when I saw him, plus I had a credit so it was only $30

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 116 35.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back